Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: ancient silver coin  (Read 899 times)

Offline Cacuci

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
    • www.antica.home.ro
ancient silver coin
« on: July 18, 2007, 09:25:23 pm »
What is this coin? Is it syrian? Or it could be turkish?

Manzikert

Re: ancient silver coin
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 05:10:17 pm »
Hi

It is an Ottoman coin, a dirhem (if c.2-3.5 gm) of Murad III (982-1003 H/ 1574-1595 AD), dated to his accession year (982 at the right of the right hand image), struck (I think) in Damascus, so Syrian *and* Turkish.

Best wishes

Alan

Offline Jay G

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 07:44:22 am »
I beg to differ with the DAMASCUS mint ID, it doesnt appear to have been minted in Damascus but without a better photo it will be difficult for me to definitively say....though it looks like Baghdad actually, I cannot be sure though without a better photo.

Manzikert

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 07:09:20 pm »
Hi

I think Jay G is right and it is almost certainly Baghdad rather than Damascus: I should have put 'possibly' in front of the mint really.

For comparison see http://www.osmanliparalari.com/Darphaneler/DarpD-I.htm#dimisk for Damascus and http://www.osmanliparalari.com/Darphaneler/DarpA-C.htm#bagdat for Baghdad: the mintname is on the top line of the right hand image.

Best wishes

Alan

Offline Cacuci

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
    • www.antica.home.ro
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 11:36:59 am »
Ok. Thanks alot. It was almost impossible for me to identify it without you.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity