Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Roman Provincial Coins Discussion Forum

Geta reverse image help, plz

(1/1)

SP88K:
Can anyone help me with the reverse image of this Geta coin.
The obverse reads : MAP AV GETAC
The MAP A and ETAC bit can quite clearly be seen (on the real coin, unfortunately not to well on the scan but trust me on this)

The Reverse reads : NIKOPOLITWN PROC ICTP
Here the POLITWN PRO  and the CTP can be quite clearly seen.

So i'm pretty sure  about the obverse and reverse legend but I can't find the reverse image anywhere. It could be described as a Vase but all the vases on coins i've checked look much more elegant this one looks much more like a cauldron of sorts. Can anyone help me on this:

1) Is it a vase?
2)How did I on the attribution?
3)And what would the Vase/Cauldron symbolize?

Automan:
This looks like a basket rather than a vase. Baskets (with fruit visible or not) are commonly encountered on the smaller bronze denomination.

Auto

SP88K:
Thx Automan that makes much more sense indeed. Can you or anyone else also tell me what a basket with/without fruit would symbolise?
Bountyfull harvest?
Fertility?
Price at a game / trophy basket?

Casper

Automan:
Bunches of grapes is a common motif on coins of the region. I also have a coin that shows a basket overflowing with grapes (see below). The symbolism would to me indicate bountyful harvests, perhaps in connection with grapes or in the case of fruit and crops generally.

Auto

SP88K:
I have two more questions about this coin and then I'll put him to rest  8)

The obverse legend MAP AV GETAC how would you translate it?

MAP = ?
AY or AV would be Autokrater/Emperor
GETA = well thats the guys name  ;D
C = Sebastos/Augustus  or would the C just be part of the name ie. GETAC?

Thx in advance for any help and your patience.
Casper

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version