Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Fav coin 3 April  (Read 3298 times)

Offline Automan

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Silver and Gold? -Yuck!
Fav coin 3 April
« on: April 03, 2003, 06:19:18 am »
Here is a coin of particular interest because it shows significant traces of flan preparation. Additionally, it's also quite nice, if I may say so myself. :D

145. Nicopolis ad Istrum. Gordian III. Æ 27 (4 Assaria). A.D. 238-244. Magistrate: Sabinius Modestus. Obv: AUTKMANTWNIOS GOPDIANOS. Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right. Rev: (URSAB)MODESTOU NIKOPOLEITWNPRO, (CICT…) in ex. Eagle standing, head raised, holding wreath in beak. Ref: BMC -. Grade: VF, slightly irreglar flan with minor flat section as made, brown-green patina. Indentation on obv. and rev. with circular tracings. Circular tracings also on flat section of flan. Die Axis: 360°. Weight: 13.94 g.

Does anyone else have coins whit circular tracings around the central indentations? If you do, post them!

Auto

Offline Automan

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re:Fav coin 3 April
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2003, 06:20:15 am »
If you look closely, especially at the reverse, you'll see the circular tracings.

Auto

Xerburous

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2003, 06:53:36 am »
That is like a work of art, a wonderful coin. Sspectacular!!!!!!!

Offline featherz

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • All Elagabalus provincials to me, please! :)
    • Aeqvitas.com
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2003, 10:30:15 am »
Yes, I have one. Not as nice as yours but you can see the tracings well:

(Fan shaped swoosh under the hole on the reverse)..

Offline featherz

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Aeqvitas.com
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2003, 10:31:28 am »
Here's another, with a tracing more similar to yours:

Offline Automan

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2003, 12:26:14 pm »
Yes, interesting specimens. What I meant, though, was the tracings that are apparent on the "darker" part of the rev (in hand there isn't nearly as great a difference in colour as on the scan. Annoying), which is thinner than the rest of the coin. Hence the die never touched this area, leaving all the tracings.

Auto

Offline featherz

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Aeqvitas.com
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2003, 01:20:55 pm »
Gotchya! I am used to showing those two coins in response to 'what the heck are those little holes' discussions so I immediately assumed that's what you meant with this
"Does anyone else have coins whit circular tracings around the central indentations?"

nice coin!! :)

H.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity