Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Fav coin 2 April  (Read 2970 times)

Offline Automan

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Silver and Gold? -Yuck!
Fav coin 2 April
« on: April 02, 2003, 05:41:55 am »
Here's another favourite. Quite a bit of wear, but soooo choice.

68. Augusta Trajana. Caracalla. Æ 30. A.D. 198-217. Obv: A(UTKM)AURH ANTWNINOS. Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right. Rev: AUGOUST HSTRAIA, NHS in ex. City-gate with closed doors, flanked by two battlemented towers, a third tower rising from the center. Ref: Sear 2491v; BMC 11 (Trajanopolis). Grade: about Fine, smooth black-green patina. Indentation on obv. and rev. Die Axis: 195°. Weight: 14.84 g.

Does anyone else out there have any city gates? Love to see them.

Auto

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
Re:Fav coin 2 April
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2003, 09:18:54 am »
Could the battlements be the original of the 'turrets' on campgates?
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline LordBest

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2003, 09:42:20 am »
I always get suspicious about these city gate things. Your standard Roman city gate had atleast two arches, generally three. They were also arched. Still, an extremely attractive coin. ;)
                                         LordBest. 8)

Offline featherz

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • All Elagabalus provincials to me, please! :)
    • Aeqvitas.com
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2003, 10:06:42 pm »
I have several city gates, but most are pretty scrungy. Witness MY Caracalla/Augusta Trajana! Bet you wish you had this one  ;D . I have no excuse except that it was very inexpensive. :)

Offline Automan

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Silver and Gold? -Yuck!
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2003, 01:39:56 am »
Still, with the interest that architectural types and city gates in particular are attracting nowadays even coins showing nothing but a shadow of a city-gate attract interest. My coin was NOT cheap, I might add. ;)

Auto

All coins are guaranteed for eternity