Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Virtual tour of the Byzantine displays at the Istanbul Archaeological Museum  (Read 1199 times)

Offline wegm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Praetorian
    • History & Numismatics
Not strictly related to coinage, but I thought this might be of interest to fellow members of this board.

The Istanbul Archaeological Museum holds one of the great collections of Byzantine artifacts, all uncovered during excavations and construction projects in the city and its environs. The display is little publicized - in fact it is even titled such but forms about 95% of an exhibition titled Istanbul Through The Ages - and is frequently closed altogether. The Archaeological Museum displays none of this online and it is only available in print rolled into a expansive and expensive overview of the museum's complete collection. And so, with all due credit to the keepers of this fine museum, I have put together a virtual walk-through of the exhibit, displaying (just about) every piece in its sequence. The descriptive text I have used is their's, though with some extra details, such as dimensions, and the occasional clarification and added description thrown in. For the quality of the photograhy, I can only plead poor lighting and hope it won't detract too much from the usefulness of the whole.

There are 4 pages of thumbnails: use the arrows in the upper right corner to navigate. To start the slide-show click on any picture.

http://www.wegm.com/istarchmus/index.htm

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
Wegm, I love the new addition to what was already an excellent site. Thank you for sharing.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity