Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Roman Provincial Coins Discussion Forum

Hristova-Hoeft-Jekov Nikopolis Addenda #9

<< < (29/31) > >>

Jochen:

A correction for Commodos

Moesia inferior, Nicopolis ad Istrum, Commodus, AD 177-192.
AE 18, 3.33g
Obv.: AVT M AVPH - KOMOΔOC 
         Laureate head r.
Rev.: NEIKOΠOΛI Π - POC EICTP(sic!) (both P reverse).
          Pan, nude, wearing spruce wreath, walking r., shouldering log staff with raised
          right hand and holding a wine vessel in front of belly with left.
Ref.: a) AMNG I/1, 1242 corr. (1 ex., Vienna)
        b) Varbanov 2181 corr.
        c) Hristova-Hoeft-Jekov (2021) No.8.10.8.3corr. (calls Figure Dionysos and
             vessel kantharos)
coll. Hoeft

This coin should have in the next edition the number 8.10.18.1

Best regards
Jochen

Jochen:

A new die combination for Elagabal

Elagabal, AD 218-222
AE 27, 14.11g
struck under governor Novius Rufus
obv. AVT K M AVRH - ANTWNEINOC
        Bust, draped and cuirassed, seen from behind, laureate, r.
rev. VP NOBIOV ROVFOV NIKOPOLITWN PROC
       in r. field one below the other ICT / RON
       Apollo, nude, stg. frontal, head l., holding laurel twig in lowered l. hand and in
       extended r. hand patera over garlanded burning altar
ref. a) not in AMNG:
          cf. AMNG I/1, 1908 (for the type only)
       b) Varbanov 4103
       c) not in Hristova-Hoeft-Jekov (2021):
           rev. No. 8.26.7.4 (same die)
           obv. e.g. No. 8.26.7.9 (same die)
Solidus, Auktion 117, April 2023

Best regards
Jochen

curtislclay:
Jochen,

Could this coin be from the same rev. die as the one in your Nicopolis 2012, p. 390, last coin on page?

There described as Apollo the Lizard Slayer, but our specimen seems to show Dionysus emptying cup and holding thyrsus. Deities with crossed legs  seem to be unusual for Elagabalus at Nicopolis.

Maybe you have found other specimens since 2012?

curtislclay:
I hope the pictures appear this time

Jochen:
Dear Curtis!

Thank you for your post. You are right. No. 8.26.7.12, last coin on p. 1i0, is not Apollo Sauroktonos, but Dionysos. The coin shown is in such poor condition that this error has always slipped through until now. Not only the description is wrong but also the legends. The rev is the same as No. 8.26.7-8, but the obv. is new.

Your coin is already listed under HrHJ (2021) 8.26.8.25. It is in my collection under https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=153953

I have now received the source code of the catalogue from Mrs. Marinova, daughter of Gospodin Jekov, and am preparing a new edition which will also be dedicated to the memory of Nina Hristova and Gospodin Jekov. Since I first have to familiarise myself with it, it will take some time. I hope, however, that I will be able to finish it this year. Until then, any mistakes I discover should be corrected.

Best regards
Jochen

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version