Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: seleukos III?  (Read 693 times)

Offline Pim San

• Praetorian
seleukos III?
« on: October 22, 2021, 09:47:09 am »
Hi,

I did buy this coin because I thought it would be easy to indentify, but it appears to be more difficult then I thought. At fist glance I would say it's Seleukos III with a anchor countermark (Houghton 63), but I have my doubts. So maybe the experts can tell me more?
It's 14-15 mm in diameter, copper, 2,9 gms (unit C/D?) and has a remarkable large "anchor"countermarks on the face. The c/m has a "+" left and a greek  :GreeK_Sigma: to the right. I saw eaxmples on the internet of antiochos III (i.e. https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=3307696) , but never with Seleukos. The backside definitely reads Seleukos..
Can anyone solve this riddle/ knows at what time the c/m was placed?

Thanks in advance,
Yours, Svir

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: seleukos III?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2021, 04:56:00 pm »
Yes, I believe the Antiochos III "Apollo on omphalos" type is more likely.

I have seen several dates put forward for the anchor counter-mark, including the Fifth Syrian War (202-195 BC and thus also under Antiochus III) or more vaguely 175-150 BC (thus Antiochos IV to Demetrius I Soter).

Maybe others know what the current scholarship on the CM indicates.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2021, 08:13:59 am »
Remains of the royal name fit Seleukos rather than Antiochos.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2021, 08:50:27 am »
You're right.  So it is the scarer and larger Seleucus III type, with Artemis on the obverse.  This is usually 15-16mm, but 14 is still known.

At first I thought it was the smaller and much more common Antiochus III type, but 14mm is too large for that.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Pim San

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2021, 04:15:51 pm »
Hi,

It appears to be a nice study object  ;). Thank you all for your "closer look". I didn't find it on SCO, maybe a new variant? Who knows...

Thanks again,
Yours,
Svir

All coins are guaranteed for eternity