Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help coin identification  (Read 795 times)

Daniel-Alexandru B

Help coin identification
« on: October 13, 2021, 05:00:18 pm »
Hello. I have a coin from Valentinianus III.
Obverse: DN VALENTINIANVS PF AVG
Reverse: SALVS REI-PVBLICE. I am not 100% sure.
Weight 1,03 g, Diameter 13,16 mm.

I didn't find a RIC listing. On Wildwinds I have found something similar, CNG 88-1450. Does someone have an Ideea?

Offline Callimachus

• Caesar
Re: Help coin identification
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2021, 09:49:23 pm »
On the reverse, I see the first word reading LORIA -- that would make it GLORIA REI PVBLICA.

Try Valentinian II instead.

Sear vol. V, page 392, #20340 is a coin of Valentinian II with this reverse from Thessalonica (mint mark TES). The RIC reference is ix, p. 186, 62a.

Unfortunately, the mint mark on your coin is mostly missing, but I think I can see and E in the exergue.

I hope this provides a direction for you to search.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2021, 05:45:14 pm »
Close, it is GLORIA REIPVBLICE.  The type was only struck at Thessalonica so always has the TES mint mark.  But you can see the officinal letter - A in this case - in the left field.

It is known for Theodosius I and Arcadius as well as Valentinian II.

It was struck in 387 AD.

Your is in quite nice condition for the type!

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Teutoburgium

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2021, 01:16:24 am »

LRBC dates this coin broadly in AD 383-392 , catalogue number LRBC-II, 1864

However RIC is more precise in dating:

RIC IX pg. 186, 62a Autumn 384 – August 388

Teutoburgium

Daniel-Alexandru B

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2021, 05:22:50 am »
Thank you very much for all your help. Have a nice day!

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2021, 08:55:34 am »
As I explain in more detail in my A Handbook of late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395 (Spink, 2021), you have to look at both this scarce AE4 and the very similar but much rarer AE3.  The latter has a clear consular bust.  Both are believed to be contemporary.

LRBC and RIC both actually place this coinage as part of Theodosius' second consulship of 388, while the Dunbarton Oaks study assigns it to Arcadius' first consulship in 385. (See RIC IX p166 and p186-187; LRBC p.43 and 82 [1978 hardcover edition]; and DO page 106 and 108.)

However, as I lay out in my book, it makes much more sense given the politics of the time for a coin struck for all three individuals to be for VII's consulship of 387 than for Arcadius'.  In addition, an updated study of the mint marks shows that the mark in Thessalonica was definitely changed to TESA by August 388, but also that some other issues with TESA, not TES, need to be fitted in before then. This also implies 387 not 388 thus likely eliminating Theodosius' consulship.

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2021, 10:09:33 pm »
I am really looking forward to your book, now it is end of October for US, hope it doesn't slip release again.

Regards,
Virgil

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2021, 08:44:25 am »
Apparently the delay is part of the global shipping crisis - log-jams in container ports etc.  But I see that in the last couple of days Amazon has actually advanced the date from 31 October to 27 October.  I hope that means they now have the books physically.

Despite the Amazon delays Spinks has sold over 150 copies so far.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity