Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Carolingian Queen ANGILBERGA Denier "NP" Legend Question  (Read 507 times)

Offline Peter W3

• Auxiliary
Carolingian Queen ANGILBERGA Denier "NP" Legend Question
« on: September 29, 2021, 11:42:22 am »
Forum Medieval Numismatists:

I'm stumped on a medieval denier legend and have a question.

According to Ermanno Arslan in his paper "Le monnayage d'argent de Bénévent à l'époque Carolingienne" the Louis II denier coins from the Benevento mint are the first Carolingian coins ever issued to give a Woman, Queen ANGILBERGA, equal "Imperial" title and attributed status with her husband, King Louis II (the Younger).

My question is on the legend abbreviation "NP" after the Angilberga name on the Cross deniers. Please see the attached photo.

Ermanno Arslan give Angilberga the "attributed status and title" from the rare monogrammed Louis II Benevento deniers with "IMP" legends following both his name and Angilberga’s name. See Arslan’s FIGURE 20 photo attached.

So, what does the "NP" legend abbreviation to after her name?

Is the "NP" actually an "MP" like on the obverse Louis side?

Or perhaps a ligatured IN to actually read "IMP" for her true title? As engraved on the FIGURE 20 obverse & reverse for Louis and Angilberga, as it is on the Arslan FIGURE 20 coin?

I'm inclined to think the die engraver may have cut corners. Perhaps he not only used "N" to mean "M" but may have also ligatured the "IN" to actually refer to "IMP," believing he was running out room for the full legend titles.

Unless, "NP" means something else. By the way, her name contains the same number of Latin letters as the obverse Louis' so an "I" letter could have fit onto the die.

Thank you for any help.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity