Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Septimius Severus Coin Question, Gythium?  (Read 578 times)

Offline Michael K8

• Praetorian
Septimius Severus Coin Question, Gythium?
« on: August 24, 2021, 01:04:05 am »
Hello, I couldn't find a match to this coin anywhere so I'm looking for some opinions.
The obverse clearly shows Septimius, with the legend ΛOV CEΠ CEOVHPOC.
The reverse legend looks like ΓYΘEATWN, which I think would be Gythium, but I couldn't find a match with the reverse anywhere for Septimius.
The reverse looks like this one of Caracalla with Poseidon, So I was thinking maybe it could be a combination of dies? But I'd like to know what others think as well.
https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=3725290

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Septimius Severus Coin Question, Gythium?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2021, 01:30:41 am »
There is one from Gythion with Septimius Severus and Poseidon in the BnF: https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8569900v

Regards

Altamura

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2021, 02:12:05 am »
The owner of this coin has been the French numismatist Henri Seyrig, who acquired it in Beirut and presented it (but without picture) in "Antiquités syriennes 65 - Les trouvailles de monnaies péloponésiennes en Syrie",  Syria. Tome 34 fascicule 3-4, 1957. pp. 249-261, on page 257 as number 7:
https://www.persee.fr/doc/syria_0039-7946_1957_num_34_3_5236

Regards

Altamura

Offline Michael K8

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2021, 02:47:40 am »
Thank you very much for the help.

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2021, 10:34:16 am »
If it's ok with you Michael, I will add this to wildwinds during my next upload session. Probably not for a couple of weeks, (I am in the middle of converting nearly 750,000 for the USB stick version.)
The Poseidon reverse for Sept Severus is not in the BCD Pelop. sales, Pausanias, Dura_Hoard 8-9, Mionnet nor in Gress's thesis on Severan coins of Pelopponesos.
So it looks like the Paris Y 28460.16 is the only possible reference.

Offline Michael K8

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2021, 02:05:55 pm »
Yep, that would be alright with me helvetica.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity