Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Sasanian Xusro II Silver Drachm Göbl type II/3 WH Mint Year 28?  (Read 1123 times)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
I cannot read the year on this coin (and most other Sasanian coins). It is Sasanian, Xusro II, Silver Drachm, WH (uncertain) mint, cf. SNS Israel p. 94, 146 (year 26) and 147 (year 36).

I believe the year is 28.  Click twice to see a much larger image.

The following is year 28 as can be found on the NumisWiki Sasanian Dates page:

Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Sasanian Xusro II Silver Drachm Göbl type II/3 WH Mint Year 38?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2021, 03:59:02 pm »
Sasanian dates are really difficult for me.  This coin from Coin Archives is supposed to be year 38 but I think it is year 37. It was sold by THE leading dealer in these odd types. Am I wrong? Am I starting to get how to read these? Click twice to see a much larger image.

The following is year 38 as can be found on the NumisWiki Sasanian Dates page:

The following is year 37:

Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Sasanian Xusro II Silver Drachm Göbl type II/3 WH Mint Year 28?
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2021, 07:49:57 pm »
Bump - Where are the members who like to read these types
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Online Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2021, 08:58:07 pm »
Hi Joe,

I didn’t want to let your post go unanswered, although I don’t know how much help I’ll be. Reading Pahlavi, especially as script on coins, is really difficult for me, especially as the dates go higher. Paleography of coins is a real challenge. Just consider P. O. Skjærvø’s essay on the subject in SNS I.

All of the above aside, my opinion may not be worth much given my lack of long term experience but I agree with you that the date on the coin above (from Coin Archives) looks like 37 and not 38. Not only have I studied the Sasanian Dates Numiswiki page, written and rewritten the script by hand (or at least tried to!), but I’ve also consulted MacKenzie Pahlavi, Khusro II RY 37 coin images on T. K. Mallon’s archived site, RY 37 Khusro II coin images on Zeno, as well as just a tiny smattering of images of Khusro II’s coins (four different mints) from RY 37 and RY 38 in SNS Iran II (16 from RY 37 and 10 from RY 38). I had to use a 25x magnifying glass for those  :)

I wish that I could give you a definitive answer, but alas, I can’t. Sorry.

Tracy

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2021, 11:10:29 pm »
Joe, assuming the numiswiki images for each corresponding date are correct, and I think they are, then the coin image is definitely 37. It matches perfectly, and cannot be 38 to my eye.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2021, 12:49:16 am »
Those darn things are so hard to read! I am going with year 28 for mine.

I turned all the dates vertical on the Numiswiki Sasanian dates page. I think it helps.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity