Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Are these weghts?  (Read 1152 times)

Offline nikopolis1

• Consul
Are these weghts?
« on: May 25, 2021, 04:37:08 am »
Weights or some belt clothes stuff?Dont have scale sensitive enough to give corect weight but the should around  1 gram each ...may be

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
Re: Are these weghts?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2021, 05:28:08 am »
Hi,

No, they are brooches. There should be a bobble terminal opposite to the one that remains on them. They are called equal ended plate brooches from C. 2nd century AD.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline nikopolis1

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2021, 06:22:00 am »
Aaaa I see now where they have been broken.Thanks for the comment +++

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2021, 08:43:33 am »
Close.  They are actually Celtic late La Tene (LT III or LT D) period brooches.  They originate in the eastern Alps region - E Austria, W Hungary, Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia

They were attached to a very thin, long looped pin part that actually looks a lot like a modern safety pin.  The pin rarely survives today.

See images of some of mine.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline nikopolis1

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2021, 10:56:33 am »
Very nice brooches ,shame mine came out broken,as usual the most interesting items always coming damaged >:(Thanks for the information

All coins are guaranteed for eternity