Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Business Cards -- Bad Jobs, Good Numismatic Tools!  (Read 2096 times)

Offline PMah

• Caesar
  • Qui risus classe devicta multas ipsi lacrimas...
Business Cards -- Bad Jobs, Good Numismatic Tools!
« on: September 23, 2019, 10:25:05 pm »
I can't believe I was so dense not to realize that obsolete business cards -- of which I have about 2 zillion from the past 30 years -- make excellent placeholders and index points in 2 x 2 flip storage boxes.  They fit perfectly.  Some of my oldest were  on Crane's paper.

Now I am obsessed with finding numismatic uses for the embossed jetsam of my career!

Be Well, Stay Healthy, Support your Local Numismatic Club

Paul 

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
Re: Business Cards -- Bad Jobs, Good Numismatic Tools!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 12:00:10 am »
Yep!

I use them all the time to mark my place in the box when pulling out 2x2 envelopes to look at coins.

Craig

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 12:11:58 am »
LOL.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
Heavy lumber makes a good numismatic tool!
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2021, 07:39:18 am »
I prefer to use heavy lumber, rather than old business cards, in my coin boxes. Yes, the good old 2"x4" does the trick.  ;)

Plug those empty spaces in your coin box with 2"x2" wood spacers. Split a 2x4 on a borrowed table saw, or you can find 2"x2" lumber at your hardware store.  Just as 2x4 lumber isn't actually two inches by four inches (really!), you'll have wood that's about 1.5" by 1.5". Still, that fits your coin box nicely. 

I always end up with scrap lumber, so I clean it up and trim to various lengths. The ones that are 2" long fit especially well.  :laugh:

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2021, 08:36:02 am »
Very practical - I like it!

I've got to change how I store my coins having outgrown folders, and envelopes in boxes (maybe using a label printer for print sticky labels for the envelopes) does seem the way to go.

I'm thinking to maybe combine boxes as a long term storage solution with a nice small "mini cabinet" that can hold ~100 coins, so that I can rotate coins out for display when I like (maybe a mint at a time).

Ben

Offline PMah

• Caesar
  • Qui risus classe devicta multas ipsi lacrimas...
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2021, 03:44:05 pm »
An exciting update:   we are decluttering prior to extensive renovations at home and my equally-acquisitive wife found boxes her business cards dating back to mid-80s.  Back then, firms printed cards on Crane's paper for rookie paralegals.   I now have almost as many obsolete cards as coins.   Perhaps I should use coins as filler between cards!

Heliodromus, did you find a solution?   I think a smaller Abafil case may be the way to go.  Smaller than a shoebox but flexible with 5 trays which can have different size spaces.
Be Well, Stay Healthy, Support your Local Numismatic Club

Paul 

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2021, 05:42:41 pm »
But will scrap lumber spacers release fumes harmful to the coins.?
PeteB

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2021, 07:54:58 pm »
One would think you should never use treated lumber. Not sure about the untreated, but I would imagine some lumber types would be better than others. I am not sure I would use softwoods like pine. With treated lumber, that stuff can be nasty and isn't even supposed to be used for raised beds where vegetables will be grown.

Virgil

All coins are guaranteed for eternity