Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Classical Numismatics Books and References Discussion Forum

Byzantine References

(1/3) > >>

acv:
The Sear books are perfectly suitable for Greek, Roman, and Byzantine coinage for basic attribution.  Then Greek coins have the SNG and Romans have the BMC and RIC.  Do Byzantine coins have another deeper reference as well?  Or do they fall into the Kushan, Sasanian, Parthian, Celtic group of partially documented types.

Simon:
After Sear get the DOC Volumes. The Dumbarton Oakes Publications.  This is one of the most up to date refrence books. Five Volumes total and A big sum of $ if you get them all ( They are about $200.00 each).

http://www.doaks.org/index.html

acv:
Thank You for the tip.  By the time one has acquired all the reference material for a numismatic library there is very little left for coins.

bruce61813:

--- Quote from: acv on April 17, 2004, 11:11:37 pm ---Thank You for the tip.  By the time one has acquired all the reference material for a numismatic library there is very little left for coins.

--- End quote ---
 Welcome to the club! I have probably spent as much on references as coins, and still have gaps!

Bruce

Joe Sermarini:

--- Quote from: bruce61813 on April 20, 2004, 01:28:30 pm ---
--- Quote from: acv on April 17, 2004, 11:11:37 pm ---Thank You for the tip.  By the time one has acquired all the reference material for a numismatic library there is very little left for coins.

--- End quote ---
 Welcome to the club! I have probably spent as much on references as coins, and still have gaps!

Bruce

--- End quote ---

I have spent almost every dollar FORVM has made over the last five years on references and still have gaps!  

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version