Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Barrington Atlas  (Read 3117 times)

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
Barrington Atlas
« on: March 29, 2004, 04:13:10 am »
Thought I would mention a book that I purchased a couple of years ago and couldn't do without...The Barrington Atlas of the Greek and Roman World.

It's a cartographer's dream! So many places that are named in ancient sources can be found on the pages of this atlas, no matter how obscure (ever heard of Plana, Dalmatia?). Not to mention it is beautifully packaged. The gazetteer that comes along with it is just as important.

An inexhaustible source for Greek/Roman history buffs and coin collectors.

Highly recommended!

Does anyone else use this atlas?

Offline Steve Minnoch

• Tribunus Plebis 2007
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re:Barrington Atlas
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2004, 06:35:45 am »
I don't own a copy but I am able to use a reference copy at a library, and I concur that it is a phenomenally good work.

Steve

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2004, 07:57:40 am »
Bobicus, you will not be disappointed. Save those pennies, it will open up the whole of the ancient world for you. It kind of reminds me of a Rand McNally road atlas, even down to the reststops.

Offline Severus_Alexander

• IMPERATOR
  • Praetorian
  • Hail Hail Severus Alexander!!
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2004, 11:21:40 pm »
I've been looking for years for a good map of the Roman World during the times of each of the emperors.  I'd especially like to see one for Severus Alexander.   Has anyone ever seen this in any of the Atlases?  All the ones one the interactive internet ones don't allow you to select a certain emperor and then see the empire during his time.  

Any ideas?

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2004, 12:30:52 am »
The  Barrington atlas has features that are color coded for different time periods.....but the Roman era is all the same color code.

I too would be interested to know of a type of map that would show the empire at any given time period. Most maps of the whole empire show it in 117AD at it's furthest extent. It would be interesting to see how provincial boundaries changed over time. The Barrington Atlas doesn't show these boundaries because they changed so often over the centuries.

My big complaint about most maps of the city of Rome is that they tend to show the later city, not the Rome of the 1st century. The Rome of Augustus did not have the colosseum, the forum or baths of Trajan, the mausoleum of Hadrian, ect... I've purchased the Forma Urbis Romae folio set by Lanciani and it is very difficult to look at the map from one era's point of view. The Topographical Dictionary of Platner and Ashby and the new one by L. Richardson make up some of the ground though.

Offline Bobicus

• Praetorian
  • He drank too deep from the draught of philosophy.
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2004, 04:34:11 am »
Here is a link to a guy selling CDROM maps of Europe as it changes by century. His maps start at 1 AD and run to 2000.  He has downloadable samples of all the centuries at low resolution, and he provides a couple of maps at high resolution, but not during the Roman era.

http://www.euratlas.com

I have toyed with the idea of laying out the 25 euros and getting a copy, but haven't done it yet.

One thing that is neat about the early maps (say before 500 AD) is they are in Latin and give the place names in Latin, this is good for a novice like me.  Also, I think he has political maps of each century so that the position and names of the various barbarian tribes can be determined.

This isn't exactly Map by Emperor, but it is the closest thing I have found on line (or off line for that matter).

Bob

They create a desert and call it prosperity.

Offline Bobicus

• Praetorian
  • He drank too deep from the draught of philosophy.
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2004, 04:47:19 am »
Continuing on the theme of Euratlas in the prior message:

What I would like to do, is to get the CDROM with the either the highest resoultion, or negioate with him and get the vector files, and then take this data and print it out on transparencies.  I think it would be fun and interesting to then take the transparencies and overlay them with each other to get a feel for how the Empire changed over time.

Also with the vector information, one could use the start of the century map as a starting point to create maps of any time desired.  It would involve quite a bit of research, but I believe the results would be spectacular.

If I win the lottery, I'll do something like this for the community. Until then, it will have to remain a dream.

Bob
They create a desert and call it prosperity.

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2004, 09:28:29 am »
Cool site Bobicus. I Really enjoyed the "bird's eye view"  map of Rome.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2004, 02:00:44 pm »
The Penguin Historical Atlas of Ancient Rome has some useful maps of the Empire at different periods, and one of Rome in Augustus' time. Unfortunately its only a small book (£10.99 in the UK). What's needed is an academic atlas with the same approach.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

All coins are guaranteed for eternity