Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Philip I: IMP IVL PHILIPPVS PIVS FEL AVG PM, PI or P?  (Read 647 times)

miri

Philip I: IMP IVL PHILIPPVS PIVS FEL AVG PM, PI or P?
« on: November 15, 2013, 05:01:39 pm »
Hi everyone!
Please I need help to identify the last word in Obverse Legend if it is IMP IVL PHILIPPVS PIVS FEL AVG PM, PI or P?
Thank you!

leemjvd

Re: Philip I: IMP IVL PHILIPPVS PIVS FEL AVG PM, PI or P?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 09:06:51 am »
Hi,

I think you have a coin which took me quite some years to get :-).  It is  the first Philip I issue of Viminacium, when he was still out fighting in the east, or maybe held hostage, something we do not know.
What we can see here is that Viminacium's city moneyer knew there was a new emperor, but didn't know his face. So the coins had Philips legend, but Gordian's face. Interestingly enough his first name here is IVL (Julius) and not M IVL (Marcus Julius) as would be on all later issues.
I cannot be certain if your coin ends on P or PM. Mine has a PM at the end. But then I also have a radiate Annus V which has the same legend (lacking the M) of Marcus but ends at P (Pontifex), and not PM.

Congrat's !

miri

Re: Philip I: IMP IVL PHILIPPVS PIVS FEL AVG PM, PI or P?
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 03:29:40 pm »
Thank you Michael van der Lee

All coins are guaranteed for eternity