Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Adrift Before  (Read 1242 times)

Offline adrift

• Auxiliary
Adrift Before
« on: July 11, 2012, 11:22:49 pm »
Hello all!

Well, I gotta admit up front that I have pretty much no idea what I'm doing. I bought my first few coins from this website a couple weeks ago after talking to a few of the members here, and was thrilled with holding a piece of history in my hands when they arrived. This competition looked like a lot of fun and a great way to learn more about coin collecting, cleaning, and attribution.

The first doesn't look like it needs major work, and is the thickest of the lot. The second is pretty easy to make out, but looks a bit pockmarked. The third, if I squint really hard I can almost make out shapes under the crud. The other three I have no idea. I found by accident that one of the indiscernible coins is slightly magnetic, which I thought was interesting.

I've been reading as many threads as I can, and I know that the big rule is to try to preserve the patina, and that undercleaning is preferable to overcleaning. I got a feeling this is going to be a bit of trial and error for me. :)

Offline ego sum malum

• Consul
Re: Adrift Before
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 08:11:09 am »
Looks like you have a nice fun group there. Can't wait to see what turns up.

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
  • Anyone have change for a hemidrachm?
    • My Gallery
Re: Adrift Before
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 09:23:16 am »
Nice set.  From the photo, it looks like the second might have some silvering on it unless the flash just created white highlights.  If you're new to cleaning, I'd suggest that you read the threads on the cleaning boards on cleaning silvered coins

All coins are guaranteed for eternity