Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Suggestions for improving Aphrodisias AE24.  (Read 845 times)

Offline ancientone

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
Suggestions for improving Aphrodisias AE24.
« on: January 15, 2012, 10:28:50 am »
I would be grateful to here your opinions about this coin. The reverse is ok but if anything could be done to the obverse I would like to try.  I've had decent results cleaning and am looking for guidance with this particular coin. 

Regards,
Charlie

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Suggestions for improving Aphrodisias AE24.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 06:21:36 am »
Charlie,

That forest-green stuff on the obverse looks like malachite crystalization and I would try to tackle it with a scalpel / x-acto knife under magnification.  If you are lucky the scalpel will clear it right off revealing a smooth patina underneath.  If it only reveals pitting I would stop at once and not continue.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline ancientone

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
Re: Suggestions for improving Aphrodisias AE24.
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 09:50:48 pm »
Thank you Shawn.  Your posts in this board have given me valuable info on cleaning.  I've started the smoothing process and it seems to be coming off just fine.  I'll post pics when it's done.

Regards,
Charlie

All coins are guaranteed for eternity