Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Gratian - Finished Cleaning  (Read 794 times)

Offline BiancasDad

• Caesar
Gratian - Finished Cleaning
« on: January 16, 2012, 01:53:59 am »
Hello friends,

I just wanted to share this coin with everyone. I wish I had the 'before' pictures, but I can't seem to find them on my hard drive.

I know this coin isn't the prettiest of specimens, but the fact that it has been preserved to the best of my ability and attributed is really exciting to me. Without the help of the generous Forum teachers, this wouldn't have been possible.

I stared at this coin for over 2 hours before I finally realized it was Gratian.

-Kurt

Gratian - Siscia Mint - Officina 3 - AE3 - RIC IX 14c, type xi

O: DN GRATIANVS P F AVG, pearl-diademed, draped, & cuirassed bust right

R: GLORIA RO-MANORVM, Gratian advancing right, holding labarum & dragging captive; D in right field, *ΓSISC in exergue

2.3g, 18mm, 225 degree die axis, 367-375AD

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Gratian - Finished Cleaning
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 06:25:05 am »
Kurt,

Nice coin.  The bust of Gratian is very nice and the mint mark has cleaned up very well.  You still have some of that frustrating hard beige cement-like stuff on it but you are probably right to leave it as it is now.  That stuff often does not come off or reveals bare metal.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Constantine IV

• Caesar
  • Constantine IV
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 06:46:35 am »
Great cleaning work. Yes, I too think it is best as it is now. Encrustations like that are best left, than to damage the coin by getting it removed.
"He who gives himself airs of importance, exhibits the credentials of impotence". ~ Decimus Laberius, 46 BCE

Offline BiancasDad

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 03:34:18 pm »
Thank you.

I did pick at the encrustations with a sharp pin in a vise but decided to stop. I don't think with my knowledge and experience at this point that I could improve the coin much more.

It was kind of a nice surprise to learn it was Gratian, just because I have been focusing on Constantine and family.

Cheers,

-Kurt

All coins are guaranteed for eternity