Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Tips for Cleaning the Egyptian Ptolemaic Bronze?  (Read 1269 times)

Offline adam r

• Legionary
Tips for Cleaning the Egyptian Ptolemaic Bronze?
« on: December 16, 2011, 11:04:41 am »
Hi all!  Earlier this year I bought 10 of the Egyptian ptolemaic bronze uncleaned from this site (great service btw).  I have cleaned up a few with mixed results using deionized water and various brushes (toothbrush, grout brush, bronze).

I'm not too happy with my results to date.  Anyone have experience with these that can recommend any different soaks that might yield better results.

Thanks in advance!

onefstsnake

Re: Tips for Cleaning the Egyptian Ptolemaic Bronze?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 05:35:09 am »
Distilled water and a stiff nylon brush have yielded the best results for me.
Deionized water wont work as well as distilled IMO. 

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 04:25:27 am »
Adam,

There are dozens of different conditions that uncleaned coins can be in and each requires a diferent cleaning approach.  Even Ptolemaic coins come with many surfaces and are prone to have some rather naughty conditions that can be hard to clean.

Best is if you can post images of your coins as they currently are.

Shawn 
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline adam r

• Legionary
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 12:58:40 pm »
I'll post a few photos when I'm back home after Christmas. I understand there are many varieties but the coins for sale on Forvm seem to be of a similar disposition judging from the various issues I've seen in the past few months.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity