Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: How often do you switch out your Distilled water?  (Read 957 times)

Offline Dk0311USMC

• Conservator
  • Consul
    • My gallery
How often do you switch out your Distilled water?
« on: December 23, 2011, 04:09:20 pm »
I was just curious how often everyone changes out their distilled water when cleaning coins?    Im sure the water can handle it, but usually I only like to have a handful of coins in a tupperware container at one time.  I usually switch out the water at least once a month.   Im sure the osmotic properties are still there even though the water is clear, but I still like to rotate fresh water in regularly when im cleaning coins.  Good thing distilled water is relatively cheap....

Danny

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
Re: How often do you switch out your Distilled water?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 05:09:18 pm »
My understanding always was every couple days to one week. However, I am not that diligent and I'm lucky to change it every couple months. I will say, when I do change it every few days, I seem to notice a difference if I consistantly do it for a while. Could just be my imagination though.

It also depends on your water quantity to coin. If you use a lot of water for a few coins I'm sure it works longer than if you use just a thin layer of water, since you won't depleted the ionic exchange as quickly.

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 05:56:08 pm »
Since I buy the stuff by the gallon, and what comes off the coins leaves it hardly what I'd call distilled, I have always assumed that one changes the water (I use oven-glass custard cups for the job, so the waste is very small) every time one takes out a coin to see how it's coming.  I also give each coin its own cup, because who knows how the stuff soaked off one coin might affect another?  Yes. on those occasions when I had several LRBCs in one lot, and they arrived looking quite alike, I have done the first  soak of several all together.  Also, of course, don't use aluminum containers.
Pat L.

Offline Jaimelai

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 09:06:16 pm »
I also used individual cups (condiment serving cups) and changed water every other day after a little scrubbing with a nylon brush.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity