Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Classical Numismatics Books and References Discussion Forum

Books About the Flavian Era

<< < (2/5) > >>

David Atherton:

--- Quote from: Mat on March 02, 2012, 06:31:03 pm ---Im currently reading The Year of the Four Emperors by Kenneth Wellesley, so far I am really enjoying it.

--- End quote ---

I think it is one of the best treatments of the subject. Wellesley's narrative style is very engaging!

Mat:
Yeah it doesnt get too scholarly which tends to put me off at times.

Jay GT4:
I've read Martin Goodman's "Rome and Jerusalem"  twice, it's a great book.  He has another from 1993:

The Ruling Class of Judaea: The Origins of the Jewish Revolt against Rome, A.D. 66-70

Anyone read it?

David Atherton:

--- Quote from: Jay GT4 on March 03, 2012, 01:28:32 pm ---I've read Martin Goodman's "Rome and Jerusalem"  twice, it's a great book.  He has another from 1993:

The Ruling Class of Judaea: The Origins of the Jewish Revolt against Rome, A.D. 66-70

Anyone read it?

--- End quote ---

I have the book read and really enjoyed it. This book goes into a bit more detail about the Judaean politics of the revolt. If you enjoyed "Rome and Jerusalem" you will certainly enjoy this one.

David Atherton:
I have just added Per Bilde's Flavius Josephus Between Jerusalem and Rome to the list and have to say this is the best "scholarly" introduction to Josephus I've yet read. Unlike Seward's book on Josephus, Bilde's is not just a retelling of The Jewish War. It is a wonderful monograph that tells of Josephus' life, works, and importance. Highly recommended!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version