Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Byzantine Numismatic References  (Read 17789 times)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Byzantine Numismatic References
« on: March 05, 2011, 08:26:45 pm »
I just updated the NumisWiki list of Byzantine numismatic references.  https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=Byzantine

Please take a look.  Corrections and additions appreciated.  

I am short two on the list:
Morrisson, C.  Catalogue des Monnaies Byzantines de la Bibliothèque Nationale.  2 Volumes.  (Paris, 1970).
Spahr, R.  Le monete siciliane, dai Bizantini a Carlo I d' Angio (582 - 1282).  (Zurich, 1976).

Please let me know if you see either offered for sale.

Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline joma-tk

• Caesar
Re: Byzantine Numismatic References
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 06:17:47 am »
Please take a look.  Corrections and additions appreciated. 

I have in my library the following books which are not mentioned in your list.
Please find below their titles as well as some comments.

1. D.M. Metcalf:  Coinage in the Balkans 820-1355
This is a 286 pages book, full of information concerning the development of monetary economy in the region. Not suitable for beginners. It has 15 plates with coins depicted but it is a study book and not a refference book. I rate it as very good.
2.  S. Boutin: Monnaies des Empires de Byzance (2 volumes)
Actually this is a detailed description of the famous Nadia Kapamadji collection of Byzantine coins. The first volume provides, in 176 pages, a detailed description of the collection and the second volume comprises of 73 plates of the coins analyzed before. I wouldn't call it an important addition to ones Byzantine library.
3. H. Longuet: Introduction a la Numismatique Byzantine.
A 158 pages book, introductory as its title indicates.
The surprise here comes from 24 extremely high quality plates where some very interesting coins are presented.
4. Konstandin Dochev:  Coins and Currency in Tirnovo. In Bulgarian language but who cares!!
This is an absolutely must have for any collector interested in late Byzantine period.
The book offers 64 tables with excellent drawings of the majority of the copper coins  issued between the reign of Alexius I and John V Paleologus.

Hope it helps

tk

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 11:03:55 am »
Thanks tk.  Please note that NumisWiki is a Wiki and you can add them yourself directly to the NumisWiki page.  I added them already. 

I added the Metcalf book.  No copies are on the market now.  I may actually have it already but it is not with my Byzantine books.   

Boutin was on the list. 

I added Lonquet and bought a copy from Charles Davis.

I added Dochev and bought a copy from booksfrombulgaria.com.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline vercingetorix

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Surrendered at Alesia.Bleah...
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 07:47:59 pm »
Excellent list. There are still a number of important titles that need to be added, old and new; I'll try to make a list tomorrow and add it there directly. One questions though: seeing that you've included a few major auction catalogs, are we aiming at those as well, because the list is quite long and I suggest we make a separate section. I pretty much have info on all major sales.
Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes...

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 10:25:12 pm »
I'm curious to see what you add.  I think I listed most of what I have (but not the auction catalogs). 

Yes, I think the auction catalogs should be listed separately. 

If the list of non-auction references gets much longer, we might want to break it down into catagories too.  Prehaps into primary and secondary.  Or maybe we should add stars after them:  ***** for primary references to * flawed or dated but still useful. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

aestasaestatum

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 11:32:04 am »
Here is a link to the bibliographic information for
Andreas Urs Sommer
Die MĂĽnzen des Byzantinischen Reiches 491 - 1453
Mit einem Anhang: Die MĂĽnzen des Kaiserreiches von Trapezunt
Regenstauf, 2010:

http://www.gietl-verlag.de/die-muenzen-des-byzantinischen-reiches-491-1453/buchdetail/192/verlage/themen/1.html

or

http://www.amazon.de/Die-M%C3%BCnzen-Byzantinischen-Reiches-491/dp/3866460619

On your excellent reference page, there is a wrong link in the case of the new book of this author (both links refer to the book from the Göttingen collection in 2003).

Best wishes

aestasaestatum

Offline vercingetorix

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 08:38:06 pm »
I'm curious to see what you add.  I think I listed most of what I have (but not the auction catalogs). 

Yes, I think the auction catalogs should be listed separately. 

If the list of non-auction references gets much longer, we might want to break it down into catagories too.  Prehaps into primary and secondary.  Or maybe we should add stars after them:  ***** for primary references to * flawed or dated but still useful. 

I've added a good number of titles and I thought it best to divide the material by section.  I can still add a lot of scholarly material, site finds etc. but I am not sure how many people are interested so I kept it to a minimum. The same goes with auction catalogs. There are basically dozens of catalogs with a good number of Byzantine coins, but I've listed only the major sales. Let me know how it looks.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 12:29:38 am »
I made a few edits.  With a very long list, I think it is necessary to distinguish between which refs are more important. 

If you edit in some other program and paste into NumisWiki, please paste it into notepad or textpad first and save it as a text file.  Other software tends to add its own code.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline joma-tk

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 03:00:51 am »
Dear Joe

It is much better now (after the edits).
I have one comment.
You have as a primary attribution reference Bendall's PCPC and as major scholarly works his LPC and Michael VIII works.
In my opinion is rather the other way around.
For me Dochev's book is also a primary attribution reference. When you receive your copy, you might agree on this.

In your "major auction sales" section, the addition of LHS 97 catalogue is a must.
It presents the Despot (Protonotarios) collection of Late Byzantine coins, maybe the best private collection of late Byzantines ever assembled.

tk

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 08:48:36 am »
Dear Joe

It is much better now (after the edits).
I have one comment.
You have as a primary attribution reference Bendall's PCPC and as major scholarly works his LPC and Michael VIII works.
In my opinion is rather the other way around.
For me Dochev's book is also a primary attribution reference. When you receive your copy, you might agree on this.

In your "major auction sales" section, the addition of LHS 97 catalogue is a must.
It presents the Despot (Protonotarios) collection of Late Byzantine coins, maybe the best private collection of late Byzantines ever assembled.

tk

Please feel free to change it yourself.  That is what Wiki's are all about.  If someone else disagrees, they might change it back, then maybe a little conversation might be necessary.  The idea is by everyone contributing freely, the end result is better than if people hesitate. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline vercingetorix

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 10:05:29 pm »
I made a few edits.  With a very long list, I think it is necessary to distinguish between which refs are more important. 

If you edit in some other program and paste into NumisWiki, please paste it into notepad or textpad first and save it as a text file.  Other software tends to add its own code.

I had already done that by dividing the material into sections, but I think it is good that you moved the main references to the top for people to see them first. In what concerns what is more important in terms of references, that's a relative issue. If you want to attribute your new coin then of course the latest references will be what you need. On the other hand, if you are interested in the history of Byzantine numismatics or Byzantine finds in a certain region, other references will be important. Anyway, I think the list looks good and has a good breadth and depth; hopefully people will add more titles and I suggest we keep this discussion open for people who make changes on the list and want to explain/discuss their choices.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2014, 01:33:21 am »
The 2nd edition of MIBE is out.  I actually bought it several months ago but neglected to post about it. Officially it is:

Money of the Incipient Byzantine Empire, Anastasius I - Justinian I 491 - 565, 2nd edition revised (with additions), Wolfgang Hahn with the collaboration of M.A. Metlich, VIN Band 15, Wien 2013.

While I have MIBE II (or MIBEC) I never had the first edition of MIBE so I can't tell how much is changed.  Obviously the MIBE Addenda material that was in MIBE II, including the plates, has been incorporated.

Dr. Hahn's intro to the second edition notes that it is not a mere reprint but a revision.  I have found several spots where he revises his previous conclusions.

Personally I love the MIBE series. This volume is large format, hardcover, with 178 pages plus 37 pages of B&W plates, all on high quality paper, plus 5 large fold outs with "Vienna school" type charts.

I have already revised all of the attributions in my modest collection.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2019, 09:28:47 am »
Bump
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2020, 03:30:04 pm »
Please take a look.  Corrections and additions appreciated. 

1. D.M. Metcalf:  Coinage in the Balkans 820-1355
This is a 286 pages book, full of information concerning the development of monetary economy in the region. Not suitable for beginners. It has 15 plates with coins depicted but it is a study book and not a refference book. I rate it as very good.

Hope it helps

tk

Old post I know but this book listed above Coinage in the Balkins  by Metcalf replaced with " Coinage in Southern Eastern Europe 820-1396" also by Metcalf.  In the cover notes he mentions the book was pirated in the United States. He then rewrote the book and expanded Including the new information compiled since the original publishing in 1965. The new book was published in 1979.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2020, 10:41:27 am »
Thanks Simon. How I managed to never buy this book, I don't know. I have added it to Numiswiki and have one on order.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2021, 11:07:45 am »
A new one to Add.

Julian Baker Coinage and Money in Medieval Greece 1200-1430 . It is a two Volume set newly published.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity