Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Caria, Attuda - Reference help  (Read 807 times)

Offline Kurt E

• Caesar
Caria, Attuda - Reference help
« on: January 19, 2011, 10:28:14 pm »
Hello everyone,
      I was hoping someone may be able to help me find a reference/ ID for this pseud-autonomous issue from Attuda.
 24 mm  7.44 g

OBV- IERA SYNKLHTOC  Laureate draped bust of the Senate right

REV- ATTOYDEWN  naked male figure standing head left holding patera and resting on spear or long septre.

I'm not really sure who is depicted on the reverse.   It appears there could be some sort of head gear.  Isigrem did not yield any matches.  There is a Zeus reverse, but quite different than this pose (thunderbolt and eagle, advancing right),and an Aphrodite reverse.  There isn't anything in BMC, acsearch, or asiaminor coins that match. 

Any thoughts on the reverse figure and/or reference is greatly appreciated,

Kurt

Offline Tom Mullally

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Caria, Attuda - Reference help
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 10:36:46 pm »
Kurt,

Your coin is in both SNG Cop and SNG Von Aulock, both have it described as:

Obv: Bust of Demos
Rev: Dionysos standing, holding cantharos and thrysus, panther at feet.

SNG Cop 164
SNG Von Aulock 2496

Tom
Tom Mullally

Classical Numismatic Group

Offline Kurt E

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 10:45:58 pm »
Tom,
   What do they list as legends?  The only part that I can read clearly on the obverse is the IERA, but there seem to be more letters than needed to spell Demos.  Also, I can buy that it may be Dionysos, but on my coin it certainly looks like a patera and not a cantharos.  How does my coin compare to the pictured examples?

Kurt

Offline Tom Mullally

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 10:59:11 pm »
Kurt,

You are correct, I was too hasty in my reply.

Your coin is not Demos on the obverse, his coins simply have DHMOC.  One variation has a slightly longer legend, but all are bare head only.  Yours clearly is draped, possibly cuirassed.  At first thought, the portrait made me think of Septimius Severus

The plate coins on Von Aulock and BMC are worn where your patera is, so I can't be certian.  The SNG Cop plate is clearer, and your coin does not match.  Sooooo, never mind what I said before !

The Dionysos reverse type I described before is the only one even close to what you've got, at least from these three references.  I'm not sure what else to tell you.  Maybe it's a new type, but I don't know.

Tom
Tom Mullally

Classical Numismatic Group

Offline Kurt E

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 09:47:42 pm »
Thanks Tom!  I haven't found anything similar either.  Maybe it is a new type, I've had this one for about a year and a half.  BTW.  Anyone else have any trouble connecting to Forvm the last few days?

Kurt

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 06:09:59 am »
Certainly a Synkletos head, possibly same obverse die as SNG Leypold 817, but the coins are hard to compare due to the poor condition and the poor SNG photograph. Are you sure there is a sceptre/spear? It isn't clear on the picture and I would expect the arm to be raised, were the figure holding a spear/sceptre. If there is none, I would tentatively identify the figure as Apollo standing, holding patera in right and possibly a branch in left hand. Forni lists an Apollo reverse in his article on Synkletos issues, but seated and with magistrate name, which is lacking here. Imhoof-Blumer lists a reverse with Apollo standing and no magistrate name, but holding branch in right and bow in left and with Helios on obverse (KM p. 125, no. 12, also compare SNG München 184).

Possibly an unknown type then.

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Offline Kurt E

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 02:54:54 pm »
Thanks Lars,
    There is a linear object that starts beside the left side of the figures head.  It appears to pass in front of the left shoulder with the left forearm over it at a level just above the waist and then extend on towards the feet.  Unfortunately, essentially all detail is obscured from just above the knees on down.  It appears to be a part of the image, ant not a die crack or other to me.

Kurt

All coins are guaranteed for eternity