Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: How to Proceed with this Crusty...  (Read 1405 times)

Offline abcoin

• Praetorian
How to Proceed with this Crusty...
« on: October 06, 2010, 12:11:18 am »
I noticed there seem to be more questions about heavy encrustations on coins than usual, so here is mine.  I got this coin a while back as a "Greek Uncleaned".  After the initial scrub I knew this one was going to be a tough one, so I soaked it in Biox Conservation Liquid, which seemed to help, though raw coin is showing in places.  Some detail is showing; the scans aren't superb, but you can discern a collar on the first picture.  So, given that, I'd like to get some opinions on how to proceed- other than electrolysis.  No matter what, I know the results won't be great, but I believe that there is an attributable coin under the crust.  Ideas?

Offline driekus

• Consul
Re: How to Proceed with this Crusty...
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 10:16:55 am »
Ive had excellent luck using alkaline gun oil and mechanical cleaning to deal with coins like this.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity