Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Vulpex Soap?  (Read 5163 times)

Offline abcoin

• Praetorian
Vulpex Soap?
« on: April 05, 2010, 12:43:25 am »
Hi everyone, this is my first post.  Lately, I've been experimenting with a few methods of cleaning coins, but one which I can't seem to find much about is the use of Vulpex liquid soap.  Does anyone have experience with this solution?  Any special conditions under which it works especially well?  Any imput would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

Ghengis_Jon

Re: Vulpex Soap?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 10:15:11 am »
Vulpex soap?  Never heard of it...is it a dish soap?  Laundry detergent?  What country do you find it?

Offline Barabus

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 10:29:51 am »
  From the web.

Vulpex is a liquid soap based on potassium methyl cyclohexyl oleate. It is an excellent cleaning agent for masonry, textiles, leather, precious metals, ivory, paintings, and armor. It is widely known throughout the museum world as a versatile wet or dry spirit cleaner for nearly any material, from paper to stone. The efficacy of other organic solvents in removing dirt can be increased through the addition of Vulpex. It is soluble both in water (5% solution) and organic solvents such as white spirit and 1,1,1-Trichlorethane (1% solution). Vulpex is a non-corrosive, non-foaming, non-hazardous, germicidal, non-acidic insecticidal formulation. It has a pH of 11.5.
Organized religion is the second oldest profession, and nowhere near as honest as the first.

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 11:21:45 am »
For coins it seemed to be a little better than regular detergent (for washing dishes) but that may have been wishful thinking, after all it I had just paid a lot of money for the stuff. It also smells like urinal cake.
Andreas Reich

All coins are guaranteed for eternity