Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Any opinions on this Athenian Tetradrachm ?  (Read 1010 times)

Maffeo

Any opinions on this Athenian Tetradrachm ?
« on: December 02, 2008, 01:34:15 pm »
It's been the subject of some controversy on an European forum. It comes from a well-known and highly respected German numismatic dealer, who guarantees it as genuine and  describes it as coming "from a large group". It weighs 16,73 gr.
Thanks a lot.

Maffeo

Re: Any opinions on this Athenian Tetradrachm ?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 01:35:36 pm »
Here's the obverse.

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 01:55:30 pm »
What are the reasons for this controversy?
From the picture it looks fine.

Andreas
Andreas Reich

Lloyd Taylor

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 03:49:12 pm »
I can see why its controversial.  Some suggestions of casting are evident in the form of
1) what appear metal pearls and splatter on the obverse, although some would relate this to corrosion and metal transfer on the surface
2) softness of detail of devices that is arguably inconsistent with a wear pattern on both obverse and particularly on the feathers of the owl on the reverse, plus the weak definition of the edges of the reverse incuse,
3) some circular depressions suggestive of casting bubbles e.g. at 4 hr on the edge of the reverse.

Note also the border of the eye of Athena with a missing segment of the border which cannot be related to die wear.

Also the reticulate pattern on the cheek of Athena is not as sharp and defined as one would anticipate from a genuine specimen...perhaps smoothing of the coin surface has been undertaken, but then again it could be the result poor casting of an authentic coin exhibiting a crystalline reticulate surface.

None of this is definitive in the absence of a known fake match, or detailed microscopic physical inspection, but it is certainly suspicious in my view.

gibfrog

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 10:55:56 pm »
I would avoid this coin, ask if you can return it.

The coin my be authentic, but it has many aspects of a cast fake, as Lloyd posted.  The softness, the bubbles and the pearls.  I did not find a die match but I do not have an extensive collection of Athena Owl images.

In general, if you begin to question a coin, the questions are never really resolved in a short time frame. 

All coins are guaranteed for eternity