Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Constantine Coin, KAA VI  (Read 5825 times)

AShannon

Constantine Coin, KAA VI
« on: March 30, 2008, 05:57:46 pm »
I need help identifying what I believe to be a coin of Constantine.  I inherited this coin and I am new to the world of coin collecting, so I apolgize if I post incorrectly.  I have looked in numerous books and on numerous sites but I can not find a coin that even resembles that back of the coin I have.  Some of the edge is worn down so letters are cut off.  On the obverse it says "Constanti" on the left side.  The right side there is a missing word that ends in "C".  All wrapped around a portrait of Constantine (?).  On the reverse, there are letters that appear to be "KAA VI" followed by symbols I am not familiar with.  The image on the back appears to be that of a + with two pairs of small lines coming out of it.  I would appreciate any tips or identification help.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
Re: Constantine Coin, KAA VI
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 06:12:29 pm »
It's a fantasy coin which turns up regularly.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

AShannon

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 05:45:51 pm »
Robert,
Could you tell me more about what a "fantasy coin" is?  I appreciate your time.  Thank you.

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 05:56:49 pm »
From the Forvm Fake Reports:

"Obv: CONSTANT - INVS MAX AVG (Probably)
Bust: Diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right
Rev: Crossed shields, 2 spears
Ref: None. Fantasy coin.

"It is a mixture of a Roman coin (Constantine) and a Judean coin (Antonius Felix under Claudius, Prefect of Judea 52-59 AD, Hendin 652).

"This coin has appeared on eBay a number of times. I believe they were part of some sort of promotional by a cereal company (?). Style is horrific."

-Submitted by Wolfgang336
Curtis Clay

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 10:39:05 pm »
Since my references are now packed, and I will most likely not see them for another three months or so, I can't give you the exact reference, but this coin is listed in Hendin's Not Kosher, his book about fake Hebrew coins.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 08:21:19 am »
A fantasy coin is one which represents a type which was never actually issued. In this case, a combination of a 1st Century Judean reverse and a 4th Century imperial obverse.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

vic9128

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 01:35:48 pm »
These things turn up fairly frequently. I even made a page because I kept getting inquiries about this coin.

http://www.constantinethegreatcoins.com/fantasycoin/

All coins are guaranteed for eternity