Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: checklist  (Read 1489 times)

Offline stainless

• Praetorian
  • College boy
checklist
« on: March 19, 2008, 02:48:58 pm »
hi,
I'm collecting ancient romans..(mainly constatine)

is there a place where i can get a checklist of all the coin types they have found of him

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
Re: checklist
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 03:14:46 pm »

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 04:00:07 pm »
There's a partial list here of types depicting Constantine (but note that this is not the same as a list of types issued by Constantine) :

http://www.constantinethegreatcoins.com/types/

If you are going to focus on Constantine, then I'd strongly suggest buying a copy of the book :

Roman Bronze Coins: From Paganism to Christianity 294-364 A.D.
by Victor Failmezger

http://www.numibooks.com/book_info_page.php?id=239

It's a great starting point, although unfortunately it emphasizes legends over types and ignores who actually issued each type. It has lots of coin photos which will be very useful.

Another very worthwhile, and inexpesive, booklet is :

The Pattern of Bronze Coinage under Constantine I
by John Kent

This stops around 324 rather than the end of Constantine's reign, but has the advantage of dividing the coins up by mint and date so you can figure out who issued them. It complements the Failmezger book, but is a decent starting point in of itself.

There's a copy on eBay right now # 170202988196

In addition to what is published in the main references, there are also a few types in more obscure references, and more recent finds that are unpublished. It'll be almost (or realistically, totally) impossible to collect a complete set, but plently of fun trying!

Ben

Offline stainless

• Praetorian
  • College boy
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 08:33:31 pm »
sweet thanks guys

All coins are guaranteed for eternity