Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Odd white stuff after electrolysis..  (Read 1792 times)

Offline AdonisRock

• Consul
Odd white stuff after electrolysis..
« on: January 09, 2008, 06:45:48 am »
hey just a quick question....  I have a few coins sitting in DW which were zapped a few days ago, and one or more of them seem to be secreting a white substance.

Any ideas?

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
Re: Odd white stuff after electrolysis..
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 08:22:04 am »
I have seen this before...does it look like little nodules or grains of washing powder? My theory (and probably wrong) is that whatever has been added to the electrolosys medium (sodium carbonate, gringotts, etc.) gets into the coin and the dw soak draws it back out...but like I said I am probably wrong.

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline Scotvs Capitis

• Conservator Princeps
  • Caesar
  • This space intentionally left blank
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 10:55:02 am »
What kind of coins? I have noticed this on some heavy bronze types. I figured it might have something to do with lead in the metal.
SCOTVS CAPITIS - Hovstonoplis Tex
(Scott Head, TX)
My Gallery

Offline AdonisRock

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 06:58:30 pm »
yeh, that's what I thought Chris.  I am using a carbonite/bi-carbonite mix..  It's happened to a couple of Asses, and a couple of smaller unidentified bronzes.

I rinsed them off last night and changed the water, and it hasn't come back.   

No big deal, just a curiousity, and both of your answers sound equally plausible.

cheers

All coins are guaranteed for eternity