Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Classical Numismatics Books and References Discussion Forum

Recommended Reading Thread...

<< < (33/35) > >>

Jay GT4:
Yes I have!  Vindictive? Yes.  Cicero claimed his father was a thief, ordered the murder (without trial) of his step-father and orchestrated the downfall of his uncle by expelling him from the Senate.  I say Cicero made his bed  :evil:

benito:
CĂ­cero was the last of the great Republicans.

SC:
I am with Benito on this.  Though he had strong tendencies of being an arrogant prat I am still a huge Cicero fan and MA's murder of him is a serious black mark.  So my MA is always the Richard Burton type in Cleopatra - not one to mourn for.

Of course it is having just such a bias that means I should probably read a good new Mark Antony bio.

Shawn

Jay GT4:

--- Quote from: otlichnik on August 25, 2014, 03:41:59 am ---I am with Benito on this.  Though he had strong tendencies of being an arrogant prat I am still a huge Cicero fan and MA's murder of him is a serious black mark.  So my MA is always the Richard Burton type in Cleopatra - not one to mourn for.

Of course it is having just such a bias that means I should probably read a good new Mark Antony bio.

Shawn

--- End quote ---

Then I would suggest Pat Southern's book on Antony or the one above.

Funny, Octavian proscribed just as many if not more people and yet everyone focuses on Antony's murder of Cicero....

Jay GT4:

--- Quote from: Jay GT4 on August 24, 2014, 10:20:48 am ---Mark Antony: A Plain Blunt Man by Paolo De Ruggiero was just released and I got my copy the other day.

The books goal is to strip away the Augustan propaganda and centuries of stereotype to reveal the real Man.  I just finished the introduction and if it is any indication of the rest of the book I will enjoy this one very much.  

--- End quote ---

Finished this one while in Italy.  I did enjoy it very much although I found at times the translation from Italian to English was a bit cumbersome.  At a few points I had to read sentences over again to figure out what was being said and it had the Italianized Latin name for many people and places rather than the common English name.  It was kind of like reading the English translation of the Italian text at a Roman site in The forum :).  The whole book wasn't like that, only a few sentences here and there.  Having said that it still is a very good biography of Antony and uses Cicero's own Philippics to show Antony's competency as a General and administrator.  It also shows him in a much more moderate light politically as opposed to Octavian.  A man who kept to his word and was trustworthy.  I think people who are interested in the Imperatorial era will enjoy it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version