Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Classical Numismatics Books and References Discussion Forum

Recommended Reading Thread...

<< < (3/35) > >>

ROMA:
Vespasian70 u mentioned 'Domitia and Domitian' by David Corson. His sequal 'Trajan and Plotina' is out, I've read good things.
Right now I'm re-reading The Fall of the Roman Empire by Michael Grant. I needed to brush up on my late empire stuff.

David Atherton:

--- Quote from: ROMA on January 08, 2008, 08:33:46 pm ---Vespasian70 u mentioned 'Domitia and Domitian' by David Corson. His sequal 'Trajan and Plotina' is out, I've read good things.

--- End quote ---

I also have Trajan and Plotina sitting on the bookshelf, but I haven't picked it up yet. It would be interesting to see how Corson treats their marriage.

Jay GT4:
Thought I'd bring this back to the top.

Started reading Cassius Dio's history of Augustus.  I'm reading the Penguin Classics translation that starts with Actium and Mark Antony and Cleopatra's defeat.  Not as fast paced or gossipy as Suetonius but a good read none the less. 

Jay GT4:
I really enjoyed Rubicon by Tom Holland which I can highly recommend so I just began another of his books Persian Fire
 I'm in the first chapter but it's already captivated me.  He has a way of finding a plausible truth between folk lore and what could have really happened.  In a nut shell it covers the 5th century BC and the rise of the Medo-Persian Empire under Cyrus

David Atherton:
A few more:

The Roman Conquest of Scotland  J. Fraser  A new narrative about the battle of Mons Graupius.

Tacitus  R. Syme   An excellent study of Tacitus and his times.

Nero  M. Griffin   THE biography of Nero. 

Beloved and God R. Lambert   Very good telling and explaination of the Hadrian/Antinous affair.

The Roman Imperial Army G. Webster   A fundamental book about the Roman Imperial Army by the esteemed British scholar Graham Webster.

Rome and Jerusalem M. Goodman   Goes some distance to explain why these two great ancient cities were at odds.

Travel in the Ancient World L. Casson   If you ever wanted to know what a sea journey was like in ancient times...

A new Topographical Dictionary of Ancient Rome L. Richardson   Looking for information about a long lost Temple or domus? This book will have it and then some.

The Bible as History W. Keller   Fundamental book about the historical aspects of the bible.

Roman Coins H. Mattingly    Wonderful overview of Roman coins from a world expert.

The Roman Imperial Coinage Volume II part 1  I. Carradice, T. Buttrey  An essential catalog of Imperial Flavian Coinage. The introductions are priceless.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version