Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: BD Treatment (couple of questions with pics)  (Read 2142 times)

Offline AdonisRock

• Consul
BD Treatment (couple of questions with pics)
« on: November 30, 2007, 04:07:15 am »
I recently bought a coin, and today having pulled it out, was shocked to find a fair bit of green fuzz had popped up.  I was really reluctant to give it the old washing/baking soda boil, but didn't really have a choice.  Unfortunately, exactly what i expected might happen, DID happen, as you will see in the images below.

I have done this method on several LRB's before with minimal darkening of patina or whatever, but nothing like this..

It leads me to suspect that this coin had an artificial toner applied to it, as I pulled it out of the boil to check it out, rubbed it lightly between my fingers and it came off like dirt (you can sort of see it on my index finger in the photo).  If so, no big deal I guess.  At least (hopefully) i've saved the coin.   I was just horrified to watch it happen as it was a really nice color.  :laugh:

what do you think??

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
Re: BD Treatment (couple of questions with pics)
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 04:03:42 pm »
I suspect you're right about the artificial patins, but you can very easily get the effect back with Dellers Darkener. Smear it over the surface, and leave it to sort itself out. You escaped lightly if it had BD. I just treated a nice prutah, but the disease had spread under the surface before it became apparent, and it's ruined it. It's the first time I've had a coin really badly messed up.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline AdonisRock

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 04:49:59 pm »
hey Robert, another reason I suspected the artificial toning was that I didn't believe this coin had sat in somebody's collection toning naturally like that over a period of years, and all of a sudden developed BD a week after i'd bought it. 

As you said, easily fixed, I have no qualms about repatination.  I'm just thankful i pulled it out yesterday, as i'd hate to see what another couple of weeks or months may have done to it.

cheers.

gavignano

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 08:32:58 pm »
By the color on your finger, that I recognize, me thinks your dose of Dellars will be about the third one   ;)

Offline AdonisRock

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 05:17:52 am »
how detrimental to the preservation of the coin would it be just to leave it as is, no dellars, no wax?? is it more likely to have another bout of BD than if it was toned/waxed?  Will it develop its own toning in its flip over the next 5-20 years?

Basically, is there any reason why I shouldn't just leave it to its own devices?

Offline Jeremy W

• Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 08:55:05 am »
I've  found(and I am no expert) that after I have treated a coin for BD, it comes back about 75% of the time if I don't coat it in wax.  I typically don't coat it for about a month or so after treatment just to try to make certain I killed all the BD.   I also don't let it near any other coin for about 6 months just in case the BD comes back.

Jeremy

Offline AdonisRock

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 06:56:21 pm »
Yeh,  I may just leave it in its flip, away from my other coins and see how it goes over the next few months.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity