Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: help with brown concrete  (Read 1490 times)

Offline Johnny

• Conservator Princeps, Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
help with brown concrete
« on: December 01, 2007, 03:40:21 pm »
I have this one posted in the identification help already,  but  for here  I need advice on how to remove the brown concrete off this one...removing this might enable an ID

this stuff is litteraly concrete  and all attemps at removing the crud  has failed,  including  dremel w/ brass brush/ picks,  even cursing at it did nothing

it is currently soaking in olive oil

Ptolemaic coin  with eagle standing right head right/ zeus OBV

thanks  :)

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
Re: help with brown concrete
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 03:47:13 pm »
maybe a dremel with one of those really fine grit rubber polishing bullets...one that I have like that (the one I posted about a few months back) is almost done...what I have done is wet the coin, use the rubber bullet until a paste of debris forms then rinse both the coin and the bit, wipe the bit off so that the crud dosent get pushed down into it and repeat...it may work out.

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline Johnny

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 05:05:14 pm »
something to try...   hummm  that just might work.  thanks

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 05:09:50 pm »
Just be careful once you start getting close to the metal as you can shine up high points pretty easily this way.

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline awl

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 06:10:32 pm »
I found this old thread that may help solve your problem: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=22897.0

The concrete looks the same as yours more or less.

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 08:37:07 pm »
Looks like a similar "concrete" to the one I had on this coin. https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=40148.0
It does come off , but patience is needed  :)

Offline Johnny

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 10:02:40 pm »
Thanks casata137ec,  Awl and  Mwilson......the posts were very useful,  now to decide on wich one to use this is my first Ptolemaic coin so I really don't want to wreck it,  but the brown concrete has to come off if I am to ever ID it

I'll keep you posted on the results

and as usual,  if you hear a blood curling scream in the far distance,  it's me wrecking it  :)

gavignano

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2007, 11:42:40 pm »
Hi Johnny - as Chris says, be very careful you don't polish the metal - it happens very quickly once you break thru the top layer of crud - what is under may be looser, not harder, and I have ended up polishing away more than I would like more than once! It is very tricky around the letters - in the areas where they are showing, I'm not sure i'd use any of the polishing bits at all, as it is very easy to get really shiny letters in just a few seconds! Joe

Offline Ardatirion

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Veni, vidi, vomui.
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2007, 12:51:58 am »
I've had some success using long Gringot's #1 soaks combined with a dental pick on my Ptolemaic concrete. Hope it helps.

Offline Johnny

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2007, 05:35:29 am »
Thanks for  all the replies

I started with the dental pick  and will keep going until the rubber dremel polishing bit arrives (  living out in the middle of nowhere,  I have to order almost everything )

Wondering if I should give it a good boil  in Just hot waster  and dish soap  to see what happens  ???

and its time to get some more Gringotts too..  good thing christmas is comming  :)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity