Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Easiest way to strip to bare metal?  (Read 1567 times)

Offline AdonisRock

• Consul
Easiest way to strip to bare metal?
« on: November 05, 2007, 11:36:27 pm »
Hey, I have a couple of Constantinian era coins here that are really giving me problems cleaning.  All the high points are showing metal just from scrubbing with a toothbrush.  Apart from that they seem to be very high quality coins underneath the gunk.  What would be the easiest/safest way to strip them back to bare metal?  I'll be here forever with a toothbrush/oil, and im afraid the brass brush might scratch them or something.  I'd rather just strip 'em and tone 'em myself, as they are nice examples of common coins that i'd like in my collection.

thanks for any help..

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
Re: Easiest way to strip to bare metal?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 12:42:27 am »
Well...it's kind of hard to say without first seeing the coins. Brass brush (soft) would probably do the trick, unless it is really crusted up then you will just end up polishing the high points. You could attempt electrolisys, but i have never had a lot of luck with it and especially not with coins I want to actually flip.

I guess the long and the short of it is there are many chemicals and processes you could use, but you run a great risk of ruining the coin when patience will really pay off in the end.

Post a pic or scan if you can and you will (I'm sure) get more satisfactory responces than mine.  :)

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 02:38:04 am »
Ave!

Use Gringgott's Mix #3.

Kevin
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

Offline AdonisRock

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 06:13:03 pm »
Hey thanks.  I'll give the gringotts a shot when i get a chance to order some.  I kept going with the brass brush, and theres some improvement, but it seems like its a thick, lumpy, dark green tar-like patina, rather than dirt.  I'll leave it for now and suss out the Gringotts.

thanks again guys.   

All coins are guaranteed for eternity