Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Roman Coins Discussion Forum

Fake? or unlisted Emesa Septimius Severus?

(1/3) > >>

maridvnvm:
Hi,

I have recently bought this Septimius Severus denarius on ebay. The vendor was questioning its authenticity because the obverse legend is unusual. I took a gamble and bought it on the basis that it might be an Emesa variant that I could do some research on. I have since got hold of RIC and been trying to make my mind up what this coin is.

This is my opinion and am quite willing to be flamed here as I am a newbie to this very useful board:-

Septimius Severus Denarius - Emesa Mint
Obverse :- IMP CA L SE SEVER AG COS II, laureate head right
Reverse :- FORT REDVC, Fortuna?? standing left, holding long scepter & cornucopia

There is a note in RIC about a variant of RIC 382 that shares this legend but that coin has Hilaritas with long palm.

Any Emesa experts willing to give me some guidance or have I bought a dog here?

Regards,
Maridvnvm

LordBest:
Its in RSC, No. 168A Fortuna or Pietas standing left sacrificing out of Patera. ACtually its closer to 153D, Fortuna standing holding rudder and cornucopia, not sacrificing. IT seems to Fort REDVC types from this period are extremely convoluted.

It looks like a cast fake, any chance of a larger scan? :-\
                                            LordBest. 8)

P.S. Assuming the legend is the correct IMP CAE L SEP SEV PERT AVG COS II.

maridvnvm:
OK.
So I have made some bigger and hopfully more useful scans.
First the Obverse:-

maridvnvm:
And now the Reverse:-
I think the cornucopia is clearer now. What do you think?

LordBest:
Thanks. Now, i dont think its cast. Nor does my esteemed colleague Alex. ;) So, you probably have an unlisted variant, congratulations. Sending pictures to Curtis Clay, Doug Smith and/or Barry Murphy probably wouldnt hurt either. They are very experienced in Severan coins and forgeries.
                                               LordBest. 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version