Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Classical Numismatics Books and References Discussion Forum

SNG

<< < (4/10) > >>

peterpil19:
Hi Zoser,

To my knowledge, no SNGS are freely available. The sylloge nummorum graecorum website covers only a limited number of them in its database such as SNG Fitzwilliam.

SNG Copenhagen is very wide and covers a lot. But it does not contain every variant and sometimes may only have one example, when in fact there might be many variants.  To get precise references, you will still need the standard reference for that type of coinage, which is not always feasible. I should note that it does have additional limitations. First, it has some of the worst plates I have ever come across. In some cases, without the descriptions, the plates are frustratingly useless. The second limitation is that the descriptions can be lacking in sufficient detail (as is the case with many SNGs) and sometimes important differences which are noted as variants in other references, are simply not described.  Overall I find it a useful reference (given its wide coverage) and consult it regularly. That is my experience anyway.

I will send you a PM on where you can find it for sale. I do not see it in the FORVM shop unfortunately.

Peter

zoser:
Hi Peter, yes first at all I had a look at Forum's site but Joe doesn't have them.

By the way is there any other catalogue that you would recommend instead of these ones? I am mainly focused on Greek coins and would really love to have sources to look for them by myself as without I am really struggling.

Thanks so much for giving g a hand.
Zoser

Enodia:
I would probably go with ANS rather than Cop as I have found it more useful in my Greek collecting, but that's just my preference.

~ Peter

Joe Sermarini:
SNG Cop is far more complete than SNG ANS.  We have SNG Cop in the shop now.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?vpar=1136

ADMIN UPDATE: SOLD

peterpil19:

--- Quote from: zoser on January 12, 2018, 06:02:14 pm ---Hi Peter, yes first at all I had a look at Forum's site but Joe doesn't have them.

By the way is there any other catalogue that you would recommend instead of these ones? I am mainly focused on Greek coins and would really love to have sources to look for them by myself as without I am really struggling.

Thanks so much for giving g a hand.
Zoser

--- End quote ---

Hi Zoser,

1. I just had a look. Joe is offering a great deal on SNG Copenhagen if you intend to buy it.

2.  Hoover's Handbook of Greek Coinage is very extensive. Unlike Sear, it attempts to capture variants and consolidates them under each relevant catalogue entry, which is incredibly convenient. Whilst each volume is relatively inexpensive, there are 12 volumes (2 of which I believe are not yet published), so the cost adds up. One alternative approach would be to buy volumes that you need now, and others later, as you require them.

Peter

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version