Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help wth Byzantine  (Read 1125 times)

Offline Tanit

• Caesar
    • My Collection
Help wth Byzantine
« on: August 19, 2006, 05:26:07 pm »
This Byzantine coin has no legend. I would like to know ID.

Thank you

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
Re: Help wth Byzantine
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 10:53:39 pm »
I think this is a half follis of Constans II minted at Carthage.  The reverse shows large cross with an X on each side.  I believe this is Sear 1057.

Offline Tanit

• Caesar
    • My Collection
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 05:02:57 am »
Why the cross is in fragments? It is normal or it is a defect?

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 07:07:25 am »
These coins were overstruck on older coins.  Because of the previous design on the coin, there was not enough metal in the correct place to fill the die doing the overstriking.  According to Sear, this may be the second overstriking for this coin.  In over words, a coin was made, it was overstruck, then it was overstruck with a different die.

So, yes, it is normal for these coins, but I have never seen one with such a distorted design as on the reverse of your coin.

Offline Tanit

• Caesar
    • My Collection
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2006, 07:45:29 am »
Is it possible that the Arabs might have continued striking it for a while after the conquest ? What would explain the elimination of the cross for religious reasons.

Offline vercingetorix

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Surrendered at Alesia.Bleah...
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2006, 09:43:00 am »
Some arab imitations still bear the cross, so this is a small matter.
The coin is definately from Carthage and there is also a legend on the obverse. North Africa was lost only in the last years of the 7th century, a few decades after the death of Constans.
Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes...

Manzikert

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2006, 10:07:16 am »
Hi Tanit, Howard

I think the reason for the 'messiness' of the designs of both sides is that it has not only been overstruck on a previous issue, but has also probably been overstruck on itself, having been turned over in the process.

If you look at about 7-11 o'clock on the reverse you will see part of the CONSTANTINVS PP A obverse legend, and there are at least 3 X's there. On the obverse there are parts of the reverse: a cross, two X's and a round-backed E.

I don't think that there has been any attempt to obliterate the cross, rather the repeated striking has ensured that the cross (and much of the other detail) is not struck-up.

Best wishes

Alan

Offline irish

• Consul
  • Look To Cydonia Plain
    • fix the moon
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2006, 02:09:31 pm »
This is a very interesting coin.  The attribution help is top notch! 

I will take this opportunity to advise of a conservators trick that I know of, and that will most likely work very well on this coin.

Many times a hot glue stick, melted with a bic lighter, then applied to areas of green corrosion (As are manifest on this coin) will selectively -- pull -- the green blossoms of corrosion out of the cracks of the design.  Do not overdo the melting of the glue stick, just melt enough so that when applied to the coin it squashes out in a small circular blob.  Make sure the glue stick remains upright as it cools.  Allow it to cool thoroughly.  Once the glue is totally hard, bend the glue stick over slowly, and as it dis-adheres it will actually POP the encrustations out of the cracks.  Practice on a few lesser coins before trying on any of your best.  If any glue remains in cracks, that means it was not allowed to harden enough.  Either repeat treatment or pick out with wooden toothpick.

These glue sticks are very cheap and one stick will do many coins, just trim off the dirty ends as they occur.  Get several sizes of the glue sticks for varying conditions.  By the bag the sticks cost about $2.00 for 50.
Detritus, detritus, detritus...ad infinitum...

Offline Tanit

• Caesar
    • My Collection
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2006, 04:38:42 pm »
Thank you Irish for these advices.
I am going to try your method because I have many coins which have this problem and I do not dare to treat them for fear of damaging them.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity