Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Catalog your numismatic books on LibraryThing  (Read 7284 times)

Offline rjohara

• Consul
  • Once long ago the Milesians were brave.
    • Ancient Greek Coins of Miletus
Catalog your numismatic books on LibraryThing
« on: July 25, 2006, 09:04:59 pm »
I think I mentioned LibraryThing.com -- the great book cataloging site -- once before here. LT has just added a "groups" feature, and I've set up an experimental group for people interested in numismatic books. You can give it a try here:

http://www.librarything.com/groups/numismatics

LibraryThing, if you haven't seen it, is a fantastic site that lets you catalog your book collection online, see what books other people have, get suggestions based on other people's libraries, and very much more. (It doesn't sell any books; it's strictly for cataloging your own collection.) You can join for free and enter up to 200 books; beyond 200 you have to become a subscriber. You don't need to enter all the data yourself: LibraryThing pulls catalog records from other online databases, and creates a semi-professional catalog for you. Give it a try if you haven't, and check out the numismatics group above.

(A tip for people who may decide to sign up: when entering your books, select one of the major national or university libraries as your source, rather than Amazon.com; you'll get much better data.)

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
Re: Catalog your numismatic books on LibraryThing
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 08:33:24 am »
Hi,

Thanks for the heads up on this site - very useful; have joined the numismatics group and started a catalogue of my library.

Regards,

Mauseus

virtvsprobi

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 12:54:02 am »

LibraryThing site has a lot of potential to be an extremely useful catalogue and research tool.
I haven't been using it that long, but it already has been helpful.
Unlike standalone book cataloguing software which has no links to the Net and doesn't allow for importing of book data from library catalogues etc.

Cheers,

G/<

Offline Istinpolin

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 12:56:53 am »
Seconded

All coins are guaranteed for eternity