Numism > Reading For the Advanced Ancient Coin Collector

PM = Persicvs Maximvs?

(1/2) > >>

Jochen:
Here I have a nice PAX FVNDATA CVM PERSIS antoninian of Philipp I from Antiochia, RIC 69. The obv. is IMP CM IVL PHILIPPVS PF AVG PM. Now I have read that the abbreviation here stands for PERSICVS MAXIMVS (and not for Pontifex Maximus). Is this explanation correct?

Any opinion highly appreciated.

Best regards

Pscipio:
I guess it is, at least I've found that explanation in auctions from both CNG and Gorny&Mosch.

Lars

Jochen:
Yes, Lars, these are my sources of information too. But are they correct?

Best regards

slokind:
That is one of the most memorable (specific, non-generic) portraits that I have seen on a coin.  Congratulations.  Pat L.

curtislclay:
       The grounds for this interpretation are:
(1) The prominence given to P M by its inclusion in the obv. legend, particularly in the sub-issue where it is separated from the rest of the legend and placed right side up below the bust.  The last time P M meaning Pontifex Maximus had been included in the obv. legend was, I think, under Marcus Aurelius.
(2) One of the rev. types of the issue is the only one of Philip's reign that specifically commemorates his settlement with the Persians:  PAX FVNDATA CVM PERSIS.
(3) The early date of this titulature with P M is confirmed by its appearance on coins of Viminacium of Philip's first year, AN V, and on what appear to be his earliest coins at Antioch in Pisidia.
(4) Inscriptions confirm that Philip indeed assumed a victory title for his Parthian settlement early in his reign, but dropped it later: three milestones calling Philip Parthicus Maximus, and a dedication calling him Persicus Maximus.
For illustrations and references see Pink, Antioch or Viminacium?, Num. Chron. 1935.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version