Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: An unpublished epigraphic follis of Alexander?  (Read 526 times)

Offline antvwala

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
An unpublished epigraphic follis of Alexander?
« on: May 14, 2023, 06:33:53 am »
An unpublished epigraphic follis of Alexander?
Alexander III was the third son of Basil I the Macedonian. He reigned first with his brother Leo VI, then with his nephew Constantine VII Porphyrogenitus. In 912-913 he unleashed a violent reaction against his brother's policy, exiling Patriarch Euthymius and his sister-in-law Zoe. He broke the good relations he had with the Bulgarians. No follis of this type were minted in his name, but perhaps he marked with his initials, AC, a follis of Leo VI.
This follis has a diameter of 25mm and weighs 6.97g
The attribution of this follis to Alexander is largely hypothetical, arising from the absence of alternative hypotheses. AC could stand for autocrator: Alexander was the first Byzantine emperor who used this title (Morrisson, II, 559; A. Mušmov, Une monnaie d'argent de l'empereur Alexandre, Byz, 6, 93). There are no attempts at usurpation of power that can be traced back to a character to whom this acronym can be attributed. The specimen shown, the only one known, belongs to the author's collection.
What do you think of this attribution? Do you have any alternatives to explain the acronym AC in the field of this follis?

Offline Abu Galyon

• Caesar
  • Change we can believe in.
Re: An unpublished epigraphic follis of Alexander?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2023, 04:39:46 am »
Wouldn't autocrator be abbreviated AK?

Having said that I have no plausible suggestion for interpreting AC. Or could it be  :Greek_Alpha: :Greek_Gamma:?

Bill R.

Offline antvwala

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2023, 04:59:21 am »
Thanks. Yes, it is possible. I have seen on some coins autokrator written with c instead of k.
What other explanation for this acronym in the field?
What other alternative would you see us for Alessandro?

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2023, 07:21:21 pm »
Here is what CNG said about a coin struck from the same obverse die:

Offline antvwala

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2023, 12:39:59 am »
Good. It is same die!

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2023, 11:47:10 pm »
Antvwala, the interest thing is that CNG auction was from 10 years ago -- August 2013.  Numis Corner bought the coin and immediately offered it on eBay.  I remember because I made an offer way back then, which was declined.  It has remained for sale on eBay ever since -- for almost 10 years!  So although the coin is quite unusual, it seems that it is not regarded as very collectable.  Even in the CNG auction, the coin only received the absolute minimum bid.  I have another coin from the same obverse die.   I have looked for others over the years, but I have not found any.  The hypothesis that this was an intentional variant would get a boost if we could find a second die.  Until then, it is only a hypothesis.

Offline antvwala

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2023, 02:50:56 am »
Thank you for enriching this discussion with a new element of importance. That the affixing of the acronym AC is intentional I think is beyond dispute. The point lies in the interpretation of the acronym (that of CNG seems to me the most plausible) and in the reasons for its inclusion. Numismatic interest and collecting interest are often divorced since unfortunately there are relatively few collectors who really dedicate themselves to the study of coins: just see how easily they spend thousands of dollars to buy a coin that is missing from their collection, and instead hesitate to spend a few dozen on a book....

Offline Kevin P

• Praetorian
  • IC-XC NIKA
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2023, 04:11:40 pm »
I'm late to the party on this one, but am just seeing it.  I think your assessments are accurate.  I recall seeing a similar thread on this coin with the AC in the obv left field - I believe it was on the German Numismatik Forum, but can't seem to find it now.  If I recall correctly, there were perhaps a dozen known.

Kevin

Offline antvwala

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2023, 04:29:09 am »
Greetings! Up to now I have found 4 examples but it is very likely that there could be a dozen or even more....

All coins are guaranteed for eternity