Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Classical Numismatics Books and References Discussion Forum

What is the title of Alfoldi’s work referencing Claudius II antoniniani ?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Dominic T:
You could also submit your coin here:
DT
https://ric.mom.fr/fr/coin/834

Altamura:

--- Quote from: Ken W2 on February 20, 2023, 07:46:42 am ---...  I followed the link but was unable to open the entire book. ...
--- End quote ---
Google seems to perform some sort of geoblocking :-\, here in Germany I see it. You could try to use a proxy.

--- Quote from: Ken W2 on February 20, 2023, 07:46:42 am ---... Do you know if 50,7 means page 50, plate 7 ? ...
--- End quote ---
Probably not, there are no coins of Claudius II on page 50  :-\ .
But: There is a collection of articles by Andreas Alföldi "Studien zur Geschichte der Weltkrise des 3. Jahrhunderts n. Chr." which appeared 1967 and contains this article. Perhaps there was used a different numbering of pages and plates and "50, 7" refers to that.

In any case this article seems to be right one, it does contain several coins of this she-wolf and twins type :).

Regards

Altamura

Ken W2:

Thank you again Altamura !  I found and could view the table of contents to that collection of articles, but not the articles themselves.  I have an email into UGent to see see if they can help.  I also see that (maybe) a copy of the collection of articles is available at a modest price in Germany, but want to be sure my coin is in it before I order it.   

Dominic T:
Here are the two plate coins in the book of Altamura. Hope it can help.
DT

Ken W2:
Thanks Dominic.  Still working on it, but I’m leaning to MER-RIC 834. The other cuirassed bust (no drape) in MER-RIC, No. 814, has no pellets. It is attributed to Alfoldi 1938 XXVII 12. I’m pretty sure there is one pellet on the obverse. Not sure about a second. The 2 pellet coin in MER-RIC, No. 855, has a draped and cuirassed bust. Does Alfoldi say anything about the obverse pellets ? I will also look for Gysen’s 1999 article on Claudius’ coins from Smyrna; perhaps it will shed some light. Thanks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version