Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman Provincials in City/Province Folders or Roman Folder?  (Read 415 times)

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
Roman Provincials in City/Province Folders or Roman Folder?
« on: February 13, 2023, 11:47:36 pm »
I was wondering if there is any consensus. I have major issues with Greek Roman Provincials and where to put them. Especially if emperors are on the coin. I am getting there with my gallery. For example, I have an Augustus/Livia coin from Ephesus. My gut feel is to put it in my Ephesus folder with all other coins of that city (note that folder does not yet exist), yet I keep thinking it needs to be in the Imperial or a Provincial category. I have a super brain issue when it comes to coins like this and where to put them in my trays. This particular coin I was about to add to my gallery is in my Ephesus tray right now. What do you all think? I know, pretty trivial.

Virgil

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Roman Provincials in City/Province Folders or Roman Folder?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2023, 03:29:05 am »
I would say that it is a legitimate question and one that ultimately you need to decide yourself. However, you could perhaps place your Greek provincials in a newly formed Ephesus gallery and seperate them by specific rulers. E.g. Greek Ephesus - During the reign of [Augustus, Nero, Domitian. etc]. I am a stickler for organization and prefer a well layed out and informative gallery ::)

Please take a look at my gallery, it may or may not help you in your decision.

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2023, 05:11:21 am »
Why don't you just put them in both galleries?

Of course, you can't do that with the real coin, but you can in the digital galleries/folders.

I have done this when, for example, the obverse belongs to one "special collection" and the reverse to another.

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2023, 05:38:38 pm »
Thanks Arados and Shanxi. I didn't think about double posting, but that might be a good idea for the gallery. And I agree, I need to just make up my mind. LOL. There are really four categories in my mind.

-Greek coins
-Greek coins after Roman conquest, I guess these would be Roman Provincials
-Coins from cities that were not official Roman mints that have emperors on them
-Roman Imperial

Then, I guess I could add imitations

My practice now is the first three I put together and the Roman Imperials are in their own category. The Ephesus coin I am about to put up actually is the only coin I have with the emperor on it from a city. I do need to check through my coins, though.

Thanks again, this helps me work through things in my mind.

Virgil

All coins are guaranteed for eternity