Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Can I use a smartphone for photos only if not on a network?  (Read 606 times)

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
Can I use a smartphone for photos only if not on a network?
« on: February 03, 2023, 12:40:37 am »
I hope the title made sense. For lots of reasons, I am totally sick of dealing with a smartphone and going to move down to something very simple, ala flip phones of old.

The question that is relevant here is the only thing I like about my smartphone is the camera for coin pics. If I delete service for this phone, can I still use it as a camera where I plug it into my computer to get pics? My old phone refused to even turn on when I switched services. Lost all my contacts. Next time, I will write all contacts down on paper before switching.

The El Cheapo basic phones I am looking at getting all have crappy cameras and, although I don't like smartphone cameras at all, they do seem to do well with coins.

Thanks for any info. All I want in a phone is a GPS app, phone and text. That is it. I use no apps. My fancy smartphone has been nothing but issues and hasn't worked away from my home wi-fi in 3 months and I am fed up trying to get this fixed. I am sick of paying for this non-service. And I used to be the tech go-to guy. LOL.

Virgil

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Can I use a smartphone for photos only if not on a network?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2023, 02:36:26 pm »
I have a Samsung Galaxy that is several years old.  I use it with no SIM card.  I use it to take pictures and then upload them to the google cloud via my home wifi.  From there I pull them down onto my laptop, edit them and use them for whatever I need them for.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2023, 03:20:09 pm »
Thank you, that was what I was hoping would be the case.

Virgil

Offline Kingston

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2023, 01:29:18 pm »
Normally it is not too difficult to use only simple features on a flagship smartphone if you already have one. I would find it odd to keep that smartphone for photos only and then get a cheap basic phone for calls/text/gps. But it is up to you and yes you can keep it for photos only if you want (and plug it to your laptop/PC to get the photos and upload them online/store them on external drive if you do not want to do it from the phone).

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2023, 07:25:22 am »
You can transfer photos to a laptop using wifi. That said, I'd sell the phone. iPhones have good value retention.

Use the money to buy a used micro 4/3 camera and a macro lens. You'll be better off for coin photography.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2023, 05:41:48 am »
Hi VH,

This is a complex question to answer.

Until about a year ago, I was using an old iPhone 4 to shoot my coin photos. It was actually my niece's old iPhone. She gave me her old iPhone 4 when the iPhone 6 was first released. That's how old it is. For the entire time I had it, it was never connected to a service or a network. I couldn't use it as a phone. I could only use it as a camera. Obviously, this proves that old iPhones can be used to shoot photos if not connected to a service or network.

My old iPhone 4 broke about a year ago. Completely by coincidence, at that time, I transitioned to a new cell phone. It is a Moto G Android phone. For the past year or so, I have been using this cell phone both as a phone and to shoot my coin photos. However, like you, I have had numerous "issues" with it. On at least 4 different occasions during the past year, I had a serious problem with it (and it's only a year old).

Two of those times, the phone completely shut down. It was "stone dead" for several days. It wouldn't even turn on. Both times, it happened when it was charging. I was told by my network provider that it was a "software issue" both times. Apparently, there was some sort of "bug" in a software update that was installed in my Android phone while it was charging. Obviously, I couldn't use it as a camera since it refused to turn on. I had to do a "hard reboot" or "hard restart" (by following instructions I found online) both times to get it to work again. The second time this happened was just 2 weeks ago. My Android phone was "stone dead" for 3 days (and it's only a year old).

Therefore, based on my own personal experiences, Smartphones (including Android phones) cannot be used as a camera if the phone is not connected to a service or network. This appears to be the opposite of what is true for old iPhones (see above).

Meepzorp

Offline Kingston

• Praetorian
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2023, 07:55:40 am »
Looks like you had a fairly specific issue here. As a normal rule Android smartphones that have a version of Android which is no longer supported (i.e., no software/security updates) would still boot. Their functionality could be limited with calls/data/apps but the camera should work and you should be able to extract the photos on PC by connecting it via USB. But of course there are plenty of things that can go wrong, as your example suggest, as smartphones do not age well

In any case, personally I do not think I would use a smartphone that is over 5 year old to take photos of my coins. There is so much progress with phone cameras that you may be disappointed with the results over time. Same with digital camera overall, what looked top notch 10 years ago with high end cameras is now likely outperformed by entry level cameras. I tend to update my phone every 4-5 years anyway for overall performance.

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2023, 04:14:19 pm »
Hi Kingston,

How can you extract photos by connecting an Android phone to a PC via the USB port if the phone is "stone dead" (and it won't even turn on)?

Meepzorp

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2023, 04:24:59 pm »
If the phone is truly "dead", you won't be able to.  Do you have a compatible charger?

Craig

Offline Kingston

• Praetorian
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2023, 02:56:49 am »
If your phone is dead then it is dead. But your post gave the impression that iPhones would fare better compared to android smartphones at being used off the grid only for their camera, which is overall misleading.

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2023, 04:48:32 am »
Hi Kingston,

My post (above) was based on my own personal experience.

Does anyone have an Android phone that is no longer connected to a service or a network? Does the camera work?

Meepzorp

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
    • The PtolemAE Project - Ptolemaic Bronzes
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2023, 02:15:11 pm »
I hope the title made sense. For lots of reasons, I am totally sick of dealing with a smartphone and going to move down to something very simple, ala flip phones of old.

The question that is relevant here is the only thing I like about my smartphone is the camera for coin pics. If I delete service for this phone, can I still use it as a camera where I plug it into my computer to get pics?

Virgil

Typically yes - without the SIM card (cellular service) you can usually think of a smartphone as a small tablet computer. Should have all the same capabilities except it can't make calls. The WiFi and Bluetooth should work fine. For photos and computer connection, the SIM card is nearly meaningless. A cheap 'last year' model Google Pixel phone makes a good camera/palm-computer/music-player, etc.

PtolemAE

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2023, 08:49:07 am »
Yup, that is what I use.

You just need to connect to wifi, yours or a free one somewhere, to download the images.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity