Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Anastasius follis: Same obverse but coins come from different officinae  (Read 641 times)

Offline Pierre M

• Legionary
Hello,

This is my first post, I hope I don't break any forum rules.

Doing some research I found several Anastasius follis with the same obverse (same die) but different reverses. So far so good, nothing unusual.
What bother me is that some of those coins come from different officinae.

I attached one sample below (sorry for the picture quality btw)

From what I've read, mints were subdivided into officinae indicated by greek numerals. I didn't include the reverses in my sample but left from right, officinae are: Б, Δ, ε.

The thing I don't understand is: how different workshops could strike coins with the exact same obverse considering each die is unique work of art. Do we know how this workshops were organised?

PS: I'm new to ancient coins (oh, and my english sucks).

Offline Pierre M

• Legionary
Re: Anastasius follis: Same obverse but coins come from different officinae
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2023, 04:42:03 pm »
Well, while I'm at it, I just found this picture which is also a bit similar to the others.
Is this what forgery looks like?

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2023, 06:26:57 pm »
Curious, but I'm sure we would all like to see the reverses.

Ross G.

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2023, 12:34:24 am »
The image in your second post (image001189) is not the same obverse as the three coins in your first message.  The positioning and size/shape of the letters is not the same.

Craig

Offline Pierre M

• Legionary
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2023, 02:53:12 am »
Curious, but I'm sure we would all like to see the reverses.

Ross G.

Ok, I added the reverses below  ;D.

The image in your second post (image001189) is not the same obverse as the three coins in your first message.  The positioning and size/shape of the letters is not the same.

Craig

You're absolutly right, thanks. Plus I noticed later that those marks seems to appear on all rounded letters on most Anastasius follis.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity