Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Tiberius Denarius. Modern Fake, Contemporary Fouree, or Genuine?  (Read 1019 times)

Offline Baron

• Legionary
Hi All,

This is my first time posting on this forum. I've been collecting denarius for a year, but this Tiberius "Tribute Penny" is my first higher end denarius. However, I am aware this specific Denarius is one of the most faked out there, other than Caesar Elephant Denarius perhaps. I don't have many experts in my area, so I am heading to coin forums to get expert opinions. I purchased from an Ancient dealer within an hour of me with a good history, but I can imagine a really good fake could pass through.

Since there is no video player on this forum: https://www.reddit.com/r/AncientCoins/comments/x4bva1/real_tribute_penny_1437_ad_denarius_tiberius/

What are your thoughts on the coin- Does anything stand out? I'd be happy to discuss

Thanks

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Tiberius Denarius. Modern Fake, Contemporary Fouree, or Genuine?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2022, 04:46:42 pm »
Weight?  I only see the obverse.  The sharp edge at the bottom of the obverse bothers me a little.

Offline Baron

• Legionary
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2022, 05:00:08 pm »
Weight?  I only see the obverse.  The sharp edge at the bottom of the obverse bothers me a little.

Hi, I don't have a scale, but anecdotally it weights the same as my other Denarius in the hand.

You can see the reverse and more of the bottom in this video: https://www.reddit.com/r/AncientCoins/comments/x4bva1/real_tribute_penny_1437_ad_denarius_tiberius/

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2022, 07:45:31 am »
A decent scale ought to be one of the first things you acquire.  They are not expensive compared to acquiring a fake.  I still can only see the obverse.

Offline Baron

• Legionary
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2022, 09:45:09 am »
Fair advice. I'll look into acquiring one on Amazon.

When you click the link there should be a 1:37 video. First half of the video is the obverse, the second half is the reverse. I do my best to manipulate the coin on different angles against to get the light against it, including all the edges.

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2022, 10:26:54 am »
Sorry,  I did not click the link--I tend to be very wary about such things.  Having looked at it, the coin looks OK to me.  I would be happier if I knew the weight.  It may have been lightly polished some time in the past.

I await other opinions.

Offline Baron

• Legionary
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2022, 10:36:56 am »
I agree with the polishing statement. Having seen it under 10x magnification with lots of light, its clear someone polished the toning off the reverse, and started to in some places on the obverse.

I'll post the weight when I get one. I might just send it to NGC at this point.

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2022, 08:00:34 am »
I think that Joe may have scales available here.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2022, 03:44:05 pm »
Not selling scales anymore. Maybe I will again someday.

One suggestion when attempting authentication of any Tiberius denarius is to narrow it down to the exact type. Some fakes don't match any of the genuine types. You can find the types here:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/NumisWiki/view.asp?key=Tribute%20Penny

Your coin is group 1 and I do not see any reason to doubt authenticity from your video.

Next time please put photos of both the obverse and reverse on this board instead of a link.

Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity