Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Chunky little coin, Greek, Celtic Imitation, Roman Imperial?  (Read 678 times)

Valerie K

Chunky little coin, Greek, Celtic Imitation, Roman Imperial?
« on: August 28, 2022, 09:18:48 am »
This little coin came in an ebay job lot of 6 unidentified coins which included Roman, Greek, medieval etc.  I just fell for it and bought the whole lot to get it.  I've been looking in various catalogues but still can't decide what it is, or find anything quite like it.  I'm hoping someone will give me an idea of what it is so I can narrow down my search.  The coin weights about 6 grams, and 20mm at its widest point, a really chunky flan.  The portrait on the obverse looks to me like a God rather than a ruler, possibly Silenus (I think I can see a horn high on his head).  It's rather primitive, and to my eyes looks a bit Celtic, but the reverse has elements in three lines which looks more ancient Greek.  I can make out a monogram ME, what looks like an axe, and then something on a damaged bit of flan which could be someone in the prow of a boat?  I haven't come across a thick coin like this before, but I think it might be a cast flan which was then hammered.  Any thoughts or comments welcomed!

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery

Valerie K

Re: Chunky little coin, Greek, Celtic Imitation, Roman Imperial?
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2022, 03:58:37 pm »
Wow, thank you Ralf, that musst be the place!  So it's the river god Borysthenes, not Silenus, and the missing piece of the flan must have shown a bow in a bow case, and probably the text OLBIA.  I don't know how long it would have taken for me to find that, if ever, especially if I was still searching Silenus and Celtic coins!  I've had a quick look on Wikepedia about the history of the Greek settlement, and see that it is close to Odessa, and was where the distinctive little dolphin coins were made.  I'm so glad I found this forum, what a great quick result!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity