Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Do you have a preferred image or motif on Roman coins?  (Read 931 times)

Offline Adrian H

• Praetorian
Do you have a preferred image or motif on Roman coins?
« on: July 16, 2022, 12:24:36 am »
I am a new collector of coins but I am also an avid birder. My first coin was a Julia Mamaea portrait with Juno holding a bowl above a peacock on the reverse. I find that I am drawn to more coins with birds on them. I just learned about Faustina RIC 744 & 745 - definitely on my wishlist. Want imagery do you guys seek out on coins?
My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=53699

$G_{\mu\nu}=8\pi GT_{\mu\nu}$

Offline Tom Mullally

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Do you have a preferred image or motif on Roman coins?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2022, 02:32:14 pm »
I actively collect coins with a Poseidon/Neptune theme.  They're often hard to come by so I sometimes expand my collecting focus to anything nautical related; eg: dolphins, ships, etc.  It's good to  have a collecting theme or I would collect everything that catches my eye and always be broke!

Tom
Tom Mullally

Classical Numismatic Group

Offline Adrian H

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2022, 04:02:56 pm »
It's good to  have a collecting theme or I would collect everything that catches my eye and always be broke!

Tom

Yes, absolutely.

I like the look of Syracusan coins with dolphins swimming around, but I don' have one. What is your favorite Neptune/nautical coin that you have or want?

Offline Blindado

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2022, 08:32:02 pm »
Ever since reading Adrenne Mayor's book The Amazons: Lives and Legends of Warrior Women across the Ancient World a few years ago, I've been accumulating coins depicting amazons minted at a time when the Graeco-Roman world had actual contact with the Scythian women horse warriors who were the historical amazons. Here's my gallery so far: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=6690

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2022, 09:51:19 pm »
Blindado, nice gallery and great write-ups!

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2022, 11:10:52 pm »
Blindado your Crassus is amazing!

Being a Flavian and Antony collector I like imagery that is rooted in the history of the time.  So Fulvia with lion reverse and Antony's age is a great one to have. Of course any Flavian that has a Judeaen reference reverse, whether it be a captive or Victory.

Offline Adrian H

• Praetorian
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2022, 11:57:26 pm »
Ever since reading Adrenne Mayor's book The Amazons: Lives and Legends of Warrior Women across the Ancient World a few years ago, I've been accumulating coins depicting amazons minted at a time when the Graeco-Roman world had actual contact with the Scythian women horse warriors who were the historical amazons. Here's my gallery so far: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=6690

Whoa, awesome! Is there any particular Amazonian whose legends really stand out to you?

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2022, 12:26:08 am »
Two main ones for me are Artemis and dogs. Not wolves, must be domestic dogs. There are a couple of coins I don't have that have Artemis and a dog, rather than the usual stag. And I can go with eastern or western Artemis (Diana). One of my most recent acquisitions of note is a Republican denarius of C. Antestius with a dog under the Dioscuri. This moneyer often used a dog as his symbol it seems. Regarding the Amazons, Sinope was also considered the home of the Amazons, at least in mythology.

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2022, 04:19:03 am »
I would have to agree with Virgil about the dog motif.  Here is a wonderful thread from a few years ago.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=110827.0

Offline Adrian H

• Praetorian
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2022, 12:21:36 pm »
I would have to agree with Virgil about the dog motif.  Here is a wonderful thread from a few years ago.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=110827.0

Only a few extant breeds of dogs are 2,000 years old, so these coins are a unique snapshot of what a racing (I assume they raced dogs) or game dog must have looked like in Italy. I love how there's still some detail om the dog's elbows and knees. It gives the pup a little bit of dynamism. Really cool!

One of my most recent acquisitions of note is a Republican denarius of C. Antestius with a dog under the Dioscuri. This moneyer often used a dog as his symbol it seems.

I didn't see the coin in your gallery, but if it looks anything like what a quick google search turns up, thats really neat. My pooch is NOT that well behaved around horses.

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2022, 04:20:47 pm »
Thanks for the link to that thread v-drome! I posted the Antestius coin in the Republican forum section recently, but just started my gallery, so it may be a while before I get all my coins in there. I will perhaps post my very, very few Republican coins next because that won't take long. I agree with what the dogs looked like back then, most were quite sleek. It could also be that only certain breeds were used on coins, as many were working dogs (such as the dogs on coins with a speared boar that were used for hunting). The Antestius dog seems smaller and different than the many greyhound/sleek types. One theory of dog-human evolution is that there were small dogs in the mix as they were possibly used as bed warmers in winter. The medium and larger dogs were used for hunting, herding, war, etc. Dogs were used in ancient medical sections to lick wounds and this has scientific basis. Finally, one cool story about the death of Lysimachus, who was killed during the Battle of Corupedium and his body was discovered some time later intact after being guarded vigilantly by his faithful dog from carrion birds and other animals.
Thanks,
Virgil

Offline Tom Mullally

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2022, 09:04:06 pm »
"I like the look of Syracusan coins with dolphins swimming around, but I don' have one. What is your favorite Neptune/nautical coin that you have or want?"

Nero's Port of Ostia sestertius is my bucket list coin but I know I'll never own one.

Tom
Tom Mullally

Classical Numismatic Group

Offline Adrian H

• Praetorian
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2022, 11:42:54 pm »

Nero's Port of Ostia sestertius is my bucket list coin but I know I'll never own one.

Well I can certainly see why. Those are really beautiful. I love the intricate detail on the rigging on the British museum example. I assume you've heard of Caligula's [Nemi ships][https://www.discovermagazine.com/planet-earth/nemi-ships-how-caligulas-floating-pleasure-palaces-were-found-and-lost-again] since you have nautical interests.

Offline Blindado

• Consul
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2022, 08:38:32 pm »

Whoa, awesome! Is there any particular Amazonian whose legends really stand out to you?

I suppose Hercules and Hippolyte, whom he kills, in part because it reverberates in today's world as the basis for the Wonder Woman and the amazons stories.

Offline Laurentius

• Praetorian
  • Laurentius
    • My Gallery
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2022, 05:46:13 am »
Want imagery do you guys seek out on coins?

That's an interesting question, Adrian. There is an enormous selection to choose an exciting motif.
There should be something for everyone. If you can combine that with your own interests, all the better.
Why not refer to a specific reverse-image as well.

For me personally, for example, my collection focuses on the time of the Constantinian
Period. If you look at the back motifs here, one can very well observe this enormous change
from the old gods to the propagandistic representations of the 4th century.
Mainly the portrayal of Victoria seems to have lasted over the decades. With a few exceptions.
Of course, they can't do that well stylistically keep up with the early coinage.

Nevertheless, I always try to have a nice crocodile from the Colonia Nemausus in the collection.

br Laurentius

Offline Adrian H

• Praetorian
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2022, 12:56:03 am »
Want imagery do you guys seek out on coins?

If you look at the back motifs here, one can very well observe this enormous change
from the old gods to the propagandistic representations of the 4th century.

How did provincial mints react towards the Christianization of the empire? Did the provincial mints all abandon depictions of the Roman pantheon all at once, or is there some decade-scale variation between them?

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2022, 02:03:07 am »
With the exception of Alexandria, the provincial mints had all ceased production about a half century before Christianity became an official religion.  They were replaced by a network of imperial mints with standardized weights, sizes, and motifs.  The political and economic reasons for this are no doubt complex, but likely had to do with a desire on the part of the emperors to solidify their authority and messaging in the far reaches of the extended empire.

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2022, 08:02:53 am »
Personally I tend to favor septimius severus' coins with horse reverses.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

All coins are guaranteed for eternity