Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Questions on Hoover's Catalog of Greek Coins  (Read 331 times)

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
Questions on Hoover's Catalog of Greek Coins
« on: May 30, 2022, 11:47:20 pm »
Hi all,
I so far have 3 of the Hoover Catalog of Greek Coins volumes and am trying to figure out which one to get next. I find it a tad confusing to figure out at times just what each volume covers. The ones I have so far are:

-Volume 3 Part 1
-Volume 4
-Volume 7

Two major questions about this series for me:

1. Do these volumes cover all coins minted in modern day Turkey? Vol 7 has a lot, but it appears not all. What volumes would fill out Turkey mints? Or, are they not yet available?

2. Regarding Volume 12, what does "Indian States South of the Hindu Kush" mean exactly? The Hindu Kush is huge and this could cover a lot of territory or not so much. Anyone know in a bit more detail?

Vol 12 or maybe Vol 3 Part II is next, but it is so hard to decide.

I love the volumes I have and will probably, at some point, get them all. The coverage is a bit annoying, I must admit. While I am interested in all Greek Coins, I have my preferences as you can see from what volumes I already own. They aren't cheap, but I am trying to add one every few months.

Thanks,
Virgil

Online Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
Re: Questions on Hoover's Catalog of Greek Coins
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2022, 01:55:34 am »

1) Volumes 6 & 7 and future volume 8 cover Asia Minor mints.

Pekka K

Offline DzikiZdeb

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2022, 02:52:09 pm »
2) Contents of HGC 12:

a) Bactria
b) Tribal Rulers of Sogdiana, Bactria and Areia
c) Indo-Scythian kings and satraps
d) Indian Janapadas and Empires
da) Kamboja including Oxyartrs as satrap
db) Gandhara, including 'Pushkalavati' and Taxila
dc) Audubmara
dd) Vemaki, Vrishni, Tiagarta and Sibi
de) Yaudheya
df) Kuninda
dg) Parauva
dh) Aryunayana
di) Kuru
dj) Panchala including kings of Ahichchatra
dk) Shurasena including kings of Mathura
dl) Kosala including kings of Ayodhya
dm) Shakya
dn) Malla
do) Kashi
dp) Vatsa including Kausambi
dq) Magadha including Mauryan and Sunga Empires
dr) Anga
ds) Shurashtra
dt) Avanti including Ujjayini and Eran
du) Kalinga
dv) Ashmaka including Vidarbha
dw) Kuntala
dx) Andhra

Sorry if I confused a name, they all sound completely strange to me :-)

BTW. Does anyone know if the HGC series will be finished at all? Four years have passed since the last volume was published. When I tried to ask questions on CNG, they replied that they planned to finish, but they did not know when the next volumes would be released.

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2022, 07:23:51 pm »
Thank you very much both of you. That covered both my questions. I mentally for some reason do not put the Islands into an Asia Minor category although most actually really are. And, I too do not know most of those Indian names, I am going to have to look some of those up. The only "Indian" coins I have had an interest in are Shahis of Kabul and those are much later. I will have to see how these new possibilities look. And, I was pretty sure there was a big chunk of Turkey (Asia Minor) missing, that would be the hopefully upcoming Volume 8. That one I will buy the day they release it.

Thanks again,
Virgil

All coins are guaranteed for eternity