Ancient Coin Discussions In Other Languages > Forum numizmatyki antycznej po polsku

Constantius II medaillon same dies as for heavy miliarense

<< < (2/3) > >>

DzikiZdeb:

--- Quote from: Din X on May 18, 2022, 05:42:46 am ---my transfer die, I extra post it in a new post, becasue it was NOT used to strike the medaillon ot the heavy miliarense.

--- End quote ---
It is a pleasure to read someone with such knowledge.

Could you please tell me what technology was used to create this transfer die? As I understand it, the next step is to create a die that has a mirror image of the above and will serve directly for striking fakes. What technology is the second die made of? If it is similar, why not make at the beginning a die that will have a mirror image?

Din X:
I have mirrored the picture of my transfer die for better comparison.
If you look for the file name of my transfer die you will see that I named it mirrored, in my second post.

DzikiZdeb:

--- Quote from: Din X on May 19, 2022, 03:40:22 am ---I have mirrored the picture of my transfer die for better comparison.
If you look for the file name of my transfer die you will see that I named it mirrored, in my second post.

--- End quote ---
Now everything is clear except the technology of execution: as I understand it, this is not cast or electrotype. So how was it done?

Heliodromus:
By the way, the type itself (a vota legend variant of RIC 132) is genuine.

Here's (top coin) one that was posted on FORVM a long time back - I don't know the source, and appears genuine. It's a heavy miliarense, weighing 5.13g.

Below that are examples of RIC 132 (heavy miliarense, 24mm 5.24g), and (bottom coin) a lighter miliarense (4.46g) variant of RIC 132.

Note that on all these coins victory stands right, head left, whereas on the two transfer dies (?) she stands left.

Lech Stępniewski:

--- Quote from: Heliodromus on May 19, 2022, 08:44:11 am ---Note that on all these coins victory stands right, head left, whereas on the two transfer dies (?) she stands left.

--- End quote ---

Are you suggesting that there is no transfer die, no authentic coin as prototype, only modern die made from scratch which was only loosely inspired by authentic type?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version